Corsair Community

Need help with USB Boot

smcsw

Trying to upgrade formware in my P128.

Using the HP tool and following the instructions in XPatar's guide, I created a bootable USB drive. The first time I used a 8Gb USB drive and used Fat32. The drive booted but gave an error message in executing the Autoexec.bat file (I think at the MSCDEX command).

I tried again using a 1 GB drive and formatted to FAT and got the very same results.

The requisite files are all on the drives. But always get the error in booting and I'm left at the command prompt.

Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Anyone have any ideas?

Hi,

I think you forgot to copy the autoexec.bat from the dsrd zip file to the usb drive. In the orignal Dos autoexec is an entry to start mscdex, but there´s no need for that. This is just for cd-rom support under dos. You can open the dsrd directory manually and start the exe file on your own.

But I´m wondering why you have an autoexec with mscdex on your usb drive, when using the hp tool. There should be none on it.

Thank you Lena. You're right. I copied over the wrong autoexec.bat, the one from the win98boot.zip instead of the one from the dsrd.zip. I'll try it again with the correct one. I was trying this last night a little too late, I think.

Firmware install went fine. Restored C drive from system image using Windows 7 repair disk as boot disk. All went well. A little scary to erase your main drive. The help on this forum is much appreciated.

My windows disk performance score went up from 6.8 to 7.3. Something must be working better with this upgrade.

Archived