Corsair Community

Upgrading RAM Help

Dung_Beetle

I'm new to OCing, and have a moderate overclock on 920 (3.2). I might upgrade to 975, but not sure it is worth the money.

When I first built my system I bought 6GB of RAM not in a set, and then bought another 6GB also not in a set( 12GB total). The system works, but in certain games I am having app crashes, and in other games some graphical issues. After doing some research I realized my RAM is not electronically timed to work together, so I am now looking to upgrade. I have decided to buy Corsair Ram, and have Registered to this forum to gain the community wisdom.

Based on my research I have decided on 3 possible Corsair RAM choices. Please advise me to which set of RAM you would choose, for my system, and why. If you have another choice for me other than what I am listing here, Please speak. Here are my choices:

1.CMD12GX3M6A1600C8

2.TR3X6G1600C7D G

3.CMG6GX3M3A2000C8

I'm not planning on water cooling, but who knows. I like messing with my computer, and I've got lots of time on my hands now. I don't really like the idea of electronics and water together. Plus, I'm not sure about the expense, and how flexible water systems are. I don't want too much money invested in changing technology. It's one more thing I have to consider when upgrading. Will my cooling system fit my new hardware, etc.

I am using the computer mostly for gaming, web browsing, music, movies, and I am a budding computer enthusiast .

I'd like to have 12 GB if it really improves overall performance.

I'm thinking of getting a 975, but not sure yet if it is a waste of money. I'm doing air cooling, and probably not water cooling. I live in a pretty warm house summer and winter, so I don't think I can OC too much. Given that, is there any benefit to the fast RAM if I am not using it to it's limits?

So, I guess that the best choice for me is: TR3X6G1600C7D G

But I'm really tempted to put down another $150.00 bucks, and get 12GB CMD12GX3M6A1600C8

Or buy a 975 and this CMG6GX3M3A2000C8

if you had my system what would you buy?

Someone make a good argument for buying one of these 3 sets.

Archived