Corsair Community

Upgrading the firmware for my P128 SSD

gazman2k3

Hi I am about to flash the new trim firmware to my P128 ssd drive,I am just a bit uncertain on the instruction pdf file that was supplied with the firmware,in the pdf file it says (Please check the BIOS setting and set drive mode configuration to Native IDE / AHCI modes)

I am not sure what that means,is that telling me to have the drive set in IDE mode or AHCI mode,it says both IDE / AHCI modes but doesn't specify which one to set the drive in,currently my drive is set to AHCI should I set it to IDE before I do the firmware upgrade.

I really want to clear this up before I go ahead with the flash incase I set the wrong setting.

Thanks.

Hi I just gave it a go but my motherboard just does not want to boot the usb stick for some reason,is there a special format I need to have the usb stick formatted to,I formatted it to fat32 when I just tried but didn't want to work,should I format the stick to ntsf there is another option I can use called exfat aswell.

It was mentioned that there have been some users in the BETA program that used other methods,is there a website that I can go to find out what the other methods are,if I can get the firmware to boot from a cd or dvd that would be great because my motherboard doesn't have any problem doing this.

Thanks.

If I burnt all the firmware files to a dvd or cd would that work do you think.

Hi yeah I just gave that a go and formatted the usb stick to fat16 windows called it just fat I think that is fat16 anyway isn't it,this time when I booted the usb stick formatted to fat I got the following message (Missing Operating System) what do you think that means.

I have tried this on two motherboards so far my evga classified and also an older asus 775 Q6600 based motherboard and they are both giving me the same message (Missing Operating System).

Hopefully I can get some help with this because I am really at a loss of how to get this firmware flashed.

That is correct, you need to format the usb drive with the FAT file system, otherwise it won't be bootable. Neither FAT 32 nor NTFS.

Did you use the necessary files in order for your usb drive to be bootable?

Apart from the FAT file system, you need the necessary boot files to make your flash drive bootable.

Check the links below:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=196

After preparing your usb drive extract the files provided for the firmaware update. Check your boot device priority, boot from the usb drive and all will work well.

That is correct, you need to format the usb drive with the FAT file system, otherwise it won't be bootable. Neither FAT 32 nor NTFS.

Did you use the necessary files in order for your usb drive to be bootable?

Apart from the FAT file system, you need the necessary boot files to make your flash drive bootable.

Check the links below:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=196

After preparing your usb drive extract the files provided for the firmaware update. Check your boot device priority, boot from the usb drive and all will work well.

ok thanks for that,see all I did was format the usb stick to fat and extract the firmware files to it,I didn't realize I needed to make it bootable first,I will go and make it bootable and try again.

Thanks for clearing this up,the instructions pdf file didn't really explain any of this,really needs to be rewritten for the average person to understand a bit better.

Just an update I just got my P128 drive flashed with the new firmware,that hp program did the trick I formatted the stick with the hp program and got it to put those windows 98 files on it and make it bootable and no worries at all after that it booted straight up and I flashed the bios.

Only problem I had with the hp program was that it didn't work with my 16gb corsair surviver memory stick because it was to big,it only gave me fat32 and ntfs format options so I had to go and find up an old small 1gb memory stick and that worked no problems at all I got the fat format option and went ahead and made it bootable.

In the bios to get the usb stick to boot I set the sata ports to IDE mode,made Legacy support enabled and set the removable drive as my 1st boot device.

Hello;

Its written on the pdf that this firmware upgrade is only tested on X86 systems. Cant i install My P128`s firmware upgrade for Windows 7 X64 or is it just risky to install? Many Thanks.

And also, do i have to format the drive with HDSecure after the firmware upgrade completed. Thanks again, have a nice day.

Just an update I just got my P128 drive flashed with the new firmware,that hp program did the trick I formatted the stick with the hp program and got it to put those windows 98 files on it and make it bootable and no worries at all after that it booted straight up and I flashed the bios.

Only problem I had with the hp program was that it didn't work with my 16gb corsair surviver memory stick because it was to big,it only gave me fat32 and ntfs format options so I had to go and find up an old small 1gb memory stick and that worked no problems at all I got the fat format option and went ahead and made it bootable.

In the bios to get the usb stick to boot I set the sata ports to IDE mode,made Legacy support enabled and set the removable drive as my 1st boot device.

That's because FAT file system has a limitation, it recognizes partitions up to 2GB, that's why you didn't see the FAT option. For larger sizes you can use the FAT 32 file system, here is a little guide I wrote about it:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83833

Hello;

Its written on the pdf that this firmware upgrade is only tested on X86 systems. Cant i install My P128`s firmware upgrade for Windows 7 X64 or is it just risky to install? Many Thanks.

And also, do i have to format the drive with HDSecure after the firmware upgrade completed. Thanks again, have a nice day.

Of course you can, no risk at all. Why use the HDSecure, no need to do that, just install your os and everything will be fine.;):

• Corsair Employees

You do not have to format to FAT16 you are miss reading that, your system has to support running in 16 Bit MODE to do that update...

Many of the newer systems will not run in DOS or 16 bit mode and thus the update could not be run on these systems.

Hello;

You are confusing what X86 means. This is the family of processors like 8086 (the original), 286, 386, 486, 586, etc... This has nothing to do with the operating system. If you can boot the DOS USB stick, odds are good you have a "PC", not SUN or Apple system. Your specs say you have an Intel Core i7 920 processor, which is an X86 class processor. Really this refers to a basic instruction set/code that the CPU will run.

You are confusing what X86 means. This is the family of processors like 8086 (the original), 286, 386, 486, 586, etc... This has nothing to do with the operating system. If you can boot the DOS USB stick, odds are good you have a "PC", not SUN or Apple system. Your specs say you have an Intel Core i7 920 processor, which is an X86 class processor. Really this refers to a basic instruction set/code that the CPU will run.

Thanks a lot for the information. By the way i have installed the firmware without any problems and running it smoothly on Windows 7 UltimATE X64 now.

So is this new firmware a one of thing or can we now expect updated firmwares all the time like some other brand ssd drives do,I guess it would get annoying if a new firmware came out every month or so and had to keep wiping the drive.

Although updates are definitely welcome if they are going to fix anything that needs fixing.

Joe, I was confused about this also for a minute. Then I remembered my

microprocessor theory and flashed my SSD. Went by the numbers...:D:

• Corsair Employees

Probably a better choice of words would be it need to support 16 Bit DOS to run this update as stated in the PDF file for the firmware update.

But any X86 Platform system will be able to run 16 Bit DOS and why we choose that statement. So in other words if you are using an Apple or Mac or SPARC or any other platform this update will not run.

Archived