Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

ampowerful

Having same exact issues as previously posted. 2 Kits of CM2X2048-8500C5D (8GB total), in a P5Q Deluxe with latest BIOS. System was fine for few months, I had changed settings in Bios to 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v, DDR2-1066.

About 2 weeks ago I got a BSOD. A day or two goes by, then another BSOD. Then another, and another, until I basically got one each restart. And each BSOD seem to have a different message.

I updated the Bios and any drivers. Then, I tried running the memory at default, or whatever the Bios assigned (5-5-5-18) and still got the same BSOD's. Then, I took out all the memory and re-seated it, and still the BSOD's appeared non stop. Finally, I took out 2 Dimms and ran just 4GB's, again at settings assigned automatically by the Bios. Surprise! All the errors stopped and the system has been stable for over a week.

It seems everyone is having this same issue when using 8gb of this memory on the Asus P5Q Deluxe. There has to be a solution to this besides running only 4gb's?

Are there other specific settings in the BIOS that I should change? Something about upping the NB voltage??

If I do need to make these detailed tweaks, why is that necessary just to make high quality, expensive memory run correctly?

If I do need to make these detailed tweaks, why is that necessary just to make high quality, expensive memory run correctly?

For several reasons:

The motherboard is tuned for 2 modules at 800, not 1066.

You are running 4 modules which is a heavier load on the memory controller.

You are attempting to OC.

The P5Q Deluxe has 4 Dimm slots, but it is tuned for only 2? The board says its compatible running 1200 memory.

Even when I didn't OC the memory, i.e.-when I ran it at whatever the BIOS assigned, I still got the BSOD.

What is the cure? How can I get all 8GB's running stable in this board?

The P5Q Deluxe has 4 Dimm slots, but it is tuned for only 2? The board says its compatible running 1200 memory.?
It takes more voltage for the memory controller to run 4 modules than it does 2. Boards with 4 slots are typically going to be optimized for 2 modules so that they consume less power, generate less heat, etc. And, even though your specifications say it can run 1200, 1200 is not guaranteed as you are far exceeding the specifications on the memory controller.

What is the cure? How can I get all 8GB's running stable in this board?

You can try increasing the voltage on your memory controller. Try testing for stability in the 1.3v - 1.45v range. Make sure your memory controller is well cooled also.

Set the NB voltage to 1.3 to start? Do I keep the SB voltage set to Auto? Keep CPU and FSB Voltage set to auto too?

Set the timings and voltage, 5-5-5-15 and 2.1, and the Frequency to 800?

Also, what is the proper settings for the following:

CPU spread spectrum? DRAM read training? MEM OC Charger? AI Clockk Twister, which has settings from Auto-Strong-Light-Lighter? AI Transaction Booster? I have read that some of these settings, when done incorrectly, will prevent this memory from functioning properly.

Clear your BIOS and reboot. Set these setting manually:

Timings: 5-5-5-15, 2T command rate if your BIOS allows CR to be set manually.

Memory voltage: 2.1v

Memory Controller Voltage: 1.3v

Memory Frequency: DDR800

Leave ALL other memory related settings to AUTO/default settings.

What about the dram freq? set to 800 right?

If not, the settings you are recommending are the same as what I had before. The only exception is the NB Voltage. Is the NB voltage that critical that it could cause all of the BSOD's?

And with regard to the CR, I don't think this board allows for that adjustment

Clear your BIOS and reboot. Set these setting manually:

Timings: 5-5-5-15, 2T command rate if your BIOS allows CR to be set manually.

Memory voltage: 2.1v

Memory Controller Voltage: 1.3v

Memory Frequency: DDR800

Leave ALL other memory related settings to AUTO/default settings.

What about the dram freq? set to 800 right?

If not, the settings you are recommending are the same as what I had before. The only exception is the NB Voltage. Is the NB voltage that critical that it could cause all of the BSOD's?

Yes it is when OCing, exceeding DDR800, running more than 2 modules and especially when attempting any combination of these factors.

with those settings so far so good....

But it begs the question, what is the point in spending the extra money for this particular memory when it needs to be slowed down just to run stable?? Why not spend half as much to buy 8GB of DDR2-800?

You can try 1066 but, it's up to your board and specifically the memory controller to be able to run it. The extra money is for the extra speed IF your board can do it. Some will, some won't.

You can try 1066 but, it's up to your board and specifically the memory controller to be able to run it. The extra money is for the extra speed IF your board can do it. Some will, some won't.

I'm starting to find this out myself ampowerful. I have the same RAM I'm trying to get to run on a 680i and ran fine for over a week or so. Saturday night came and everything went downhill from there. After tons of reading I'm finally finding out after 2 years of owning this MOBO that the 680i has a horrid memory controller and sucks with anything over two sticks of memory in it.

I'm going to be trying/testing out Yellowbeard's voltage tweaks on my MOBO as well to see if I can get something running OR I'll have 4GBs of RAM to sell or buy a DDR2 board thats worth using.

I'm starting to find this out myself ampowerful. I have the same RAM I'm trying to get to run on a 680i and ran fine for over a week or so. Saturday night came and everything went downhill from there. After tons of reading I'm finally finding out after 2 years of owning this MOBO that the 680i has a horrid memory controller and sucks with anything over two sticks of memory in it.

I'm going to be trying/testing out Yellowbeard's voltage tweaks on my MOBO as well to see if I can get something running OR I'll have 4GBs of RAM to sell or buy a DDR2 board thats worth using.

It can be done but the 680i memory controller runs REALLY hot so make sure it is VERY well cooled. IIRC, they usually take about 1.4v - 1.45v to run 4 up and not all of them will do 1066 4 up. Let us know how it goes.

Archived