Corsair Community

New H50 pump is buzzing...

MJinZ

Hi guys,

I just built a new rig (as in profile). Everything is great except:

1) My H50 pump is making buzzing noise. It is audible with case closed and fans on low.

2) Semi-Unrelated - power supply and GPU is whining/squealing under load

Is this normal behavior for the H50? Is it supposed to completely silent?

I have definitely narrowed it down to the pump by starting the computer up in surgery mode with various fans pulled. With only the pump power plug pulled, the buzzing is gone (interestingly, CPU does not get hotter than 45C without the pump running while sitting in BIOS).

As a side note to #2) - is Corsair coming out with any PSUs are that not nearly 7" or longer? It's difficult to find supplies these days that the short ATX size for SFF cases...

damn mines was built on october, silent as when running...

only today buzz, finger touch the pump and yep vibration felt, however after 2 mins al quiet.

this to me is the bearings,, ok im guessing as in my old case i used to get a vibaration from one fan, after minute or two the noise disappears.

il take mine to local supplier first..b4 rma

Thanks...

Once I get a new unit, can someone input with what I should expect? Any noise at all from the pump? Complete silence?

I hear nothing.A matter of fact I didnt even build mine to be quiet because I dont even care.But if it wasnt for my fan leds,I wouldnt even know my computer was running.

well probably due to lazyness i havent bothered changing mine, i know the amd chip has built in protection so if cooler failed its protected, HOWEVER the pump isnt making any noise at the moment, so why fix something not broken. iv always got the stock amd fan cooler if needed. so happy times.

Second H50, different motherboard, same buzzing. It seems to be the pump working or internal fan or whatever it is...

I'm always surprised that reviewers never get these kinds of nuances of a product...

If I was you I would disable all fans in your sys exceot the one on the Radiator & run the sys. IF you STILL hear a buzz then place a different fan on the radiator then AGAIN run the sys. IF you STILL heqar a buzzing its either the PSU or the pump i doubt you get 2 bad pumps back to back more likely its a buzzing fan or PSU could even be your video card fan. Dont immediatly think its only one item in a PC when it could be anything & only way to find out is a bit of detective work like say disconnect the video card from the PC & do a boot to see it you still hear the buzzing...........You could very easily figure out that its not the pump by simply placing a aircooling fan heatsink on your CPU then do a boot. Seems pretty simple to me to figure it out easily. I dont fingerpoint until ive made 100% certain nothing else is involved...........................I dont work for Corsiar but if I did this is what id tell you before an RMA as this kind of thing happens all the time and one cannot assume anything since so much was changed all at the same time. I could determine whats buzzing in 10 min if I had your PC in front of me....

If I was you I would disable all fans in your sys exceot the one on the Radiator & run the sys. IF you STILL hear a buzz then place a different fan on the radiator then AGAIN run the sys. IF you STILL heqar a buzzing its either the PSU or the pump i doubt you get 2 bad pumps back to back more likely its a buzzing fan or PSU could even be your video card fan. Dont immediatly think its only one item in a PC when it could be anything & only way to find out is a bit of detective work like say disconnect the video card from the PC & do a boot to see it you still hear the buzzing...........You could very easily figure out that its not the pump by simply placing a aircooling fan heatsink on your CPU then do a boot. Seems pretty simple to me to figure it out easily. I dont fingerpoint until ive made 100% certain nothing else is involved...........................I dont work for Corsair but if I did this is what id tell you before an RMA as this kind of thing happens all the time and one cannot assume anything since so much was changed all at the same time. I could determine whats buzzing in 10 min if I had your PC in front of me....

Read my first post... the first I did was was have only the pump plugged (no fans). No, the PSU is silent. These H50s seem to all buzz.

If you unplug EVERYTHING except your pump, I'm sure you'll hear it too.

Just unplugged all the fans except the one on on the radiator & I do not hear a peep except the fan. My pump is silent. I only said to check everything because all the other components can make the same noise. Maybe my pump was assembled on a Wednesday & yours were built on Fridays..........I dunno. We all know how that goes.

Only other thing I can think of is your hearing is spectacular compared to mine. Without actually being next to you I have no idea what your & my idea of a noise is. I do know folks who cant stand any noise at all and must use Laptops because a fan at any speed drives them crazy in a desktop. Thats not to say that your 2 pumps arent noisey however, Ill give you the benifit of the doubt of bad luck if the 3rd one sounds noisey to you its time to buy a lotto ticket. Have you had others in the house listen & confirm what your hearing also? Id do that as you may have accute hearing, & no until others confirm this im not kidding. I know lots of folks that have a prob both ways bad hearing & hearing like a fox. As an example 5 fans running in my PC does not effect me at all yet my hearing is very good. To another just one fan would drive them crazy. The next guy may hear nothing at all.........we are all different. I am curious if you have had others also say its buzzing where it can be heard over the fans running.

I've built two systems with the H50 and have used other Asetek based coolers in the past. These coolers act like other water cooler systems. When they are first started after installation / filling, they will have air bubbles in the water. This will cause noise and vibrations in the pump until its worked out of the system. Normally within 5 or 10 minutes on a small system like this the bubbles should be worked out and the noise/vibrations from it should be gone.

You can easily isolate everything else out of the testing process by simply bench testing the H50. Remove it from the system, lay it on the desk and run a power connection from a working system. When you first start the H50 it will likely make noise and then slowly get quieter.

Archived