Corsair Community

slow x-32

pindakoek

Hi,

I bought a X-32 just a few weeks ago and i already did a secure-erase with hdparm but the testresults with crystaldiskmark are still not good.

And if i try to switch in the motherboards bios to AHCI my computer crashes before it comes onto the logon screen.

Sorry for my bad english.

1340750416_badresults.jpg.b41201247aa03cf6563513b437e3d006.jpg

• Corsair Employees

There is little difference in AHCI Mode and IDE mode and AHCI will have some advantages. However the controller the MB is using will really be the biggest factor in any performance gains if any.

pindakoek, I am not sure what you are asking about the reserved partition can you be more specific. And did you get the performance back up.

I'm going to plan a reinstall because of ahci-mode but if I delete the partition on my ssd with gparted and I create a new one with gparted(because I need to format it with 32k allocation) there's no system reserved partition, how am I going to do this?

• Corsair Employees
I would image the Boot drive to another Drive and use that drive to boot the system then you just use disk manager create and format the partition with 32 K allocation and test the performance. The you can just image it back with Accronis Disk Image or if you want to do a fresh install just delete the partition and Windows 7 will create it automatically.

Actually you can change within Windows from IDE to AHCI.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;922976&x=5&y=8

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps:

Exit all Windows-based programs.

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After that, reboot, go into your bios and turn AHCI on.

Windows asks for new drivers to install, after that reboot.

And you´re done.

Archived