Corsair Community

BSOD installing Windows 7 64-bit on X128

Jusher

Hi. I'm trying to install Windows 7 64-bit (as dual-boot with Vista 32-bit) on a new X128 drive that I have already formatted. I put in the DVD and Windows 7 starts installing. But everytime, usually when it's checking for updates before finishing the installation, I get a BSOD with the following main error:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

I'm stumped on what to do here. Worse, when I boot back to Vista, the X128 drive is no longer visible and I have to go to computer management, re-initialize the SSD, and re-format it, for it to be visible.

Does anyone have suggestions as to what is going on? I'm running a P5KC motherboard in case that makes a difference.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jonathan

Hi. I didn't have any other data on the drive - it was clean. My Windows Vista installation is on a separate hard drive.

Dual booting Windows Vista and Windows 7 is a pretty common scenario; there are all sorts of guides for how to do it.

I also tried installing Windows 7 32-bit as the second OS (also on the clean SSD drive, once I had re-formatted it). Same result - BSOD. I wonder if there is a problem with the SATA drivers on the motherboard?

Jonathan

Update - and (I think) problem solved :)

I started to think it may be a SATA driver issue, as the X128 was scanning just fine in Vista. So I switched cables from an add-on SATA card to a motherboard SATA slot, and that made all the difference. Looks like perhaps my SATA add-on card isn't supported yet in Windows 7 - oh well.

Jonathan

Archived