Corsair Community

P-Series - Firmware with Garbage Collection?

Athar

Hi,

I just would ask you a "simple" question.

Is there will be a firmware with GC in the future for the P-Series for thoses who are in RAID mode?

Or maybe GC and TRIM are both on the latest FW of Samsung? (but, I don't believe in that)

Thanks for answering me.

• Corsair Employees
There is no information to answer that question but at this time when using SSD's in a RAID the G/C collection will not function according to Samsung. Well actually they stated that G/C was tested with single drive using NTFS only; they did not state it would not work only what they had tested.

As far as I can tell, GC will not be possible on a RAID with multiple drives, because only the raid controller knows how it distributes the data over drives and which blocks are free (some blocks will be RAID specific or copied blocks for redundancy).

The only way I can see will be having TRIM support in the operating system and the RAID controller passing on the TRIMs to the corresponding drives and blocks in the array (if there's such a thing as a 1:1 block mapping at all, which will be less doubtful the higher the raid levels go).

Archived