Corsair Community

12 GB on Intel Core i7 9xx

BODGE71

I've been considering upgrading my current 4Gb of RAM to 12Gb but am a little worried if it's worth the cost? I had been considerng buying 2 kits of TR3X6G1600C8D. I'm currently using 4Gb of TW3X4G1333C9DHX.

So what's the memory clock and how does that create problems with running 12Gb of 1600C8D (or similar memory)? Why does 1600 RAM have to be run at 1333?

and my final question is, if there is no way to run 12 Gb of higher rated RAM, should I just buy 2 more kits of 4Gb TW3X4G1333C9DHX.

I had been hoping to overclock the cpu to 3.2 Ghz using Gigabyte's easytune. Is there any way I can do that running 12GB of RAM at a decent speed? If so, how, and which RAM kit?

Any help and ideas is much appreciated.

Running multiple packs together is untested and therefore not guaranteed, hence the recommendation to lower the speed when running multiple packs (which can contain different ICs which memory controllers don't like to mix).

Get a HX3X12G1600C9 pack or a HX3X12G1333C9 pack. As long a the memory controller can handle 6 sticks @ the rated speed, you're good to go, no speed drop required.

thanks for the info, but what's the IC, and how will I be able to determine if the memory controller can handle 6 sticks @ rated speed?

and would it still be possible to overclock the cpu with a 12GB kit, even if the RAM wouldn't/doesn't overclock without some stability issues? i.e. would i burn out my cpu even if i kept the voltage difference between the RAM and cpu at less than 0.5v ?

1. It should be in the CPU specs, but ultimately it's up to dumb luck :) You'll have a pretty good chance it'll work though.

2. Yes, however since the memory controller's maxed out with 6 sticks (hence more stress on it), you won't see as high as an OC as you would with only 3 sticks. As for the voltage, whenever you go beyond rated voltage specs you have a chance of that happening.

Archived