Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C8D RMA or NOT

warduck

Ok this seems to be a bit of a common problem so much so that I don't believe it to be a problem with the mobo or the CPU. I have the rampage II extreme, an i7 920 and the TR3X6G1600C8D ram V 3.2, now when I try to run this ram at its specified speed of 1600Mhz it will in due time freeze the system and USB power will cut out, this happens at stock CPU and when overclocked, it can happen one minute in to boot up or an hour, it can crash while on the desktop or browsing the web, apple quicktime HD movie trailers have a tendecy to to freeze the system 100% of the time.

If I run the ram at say 1200Mhz the system is completely stable even when the CPU is at 4Ghz with ram timings of 7 7 7 20, its been pointed out that v 3.1 of the ram has major problems with a number of ROG asus boards and using v 2.1 solves the problem of instability at 1600Mhz, so do I RMA or not? or maybe hope for some kind of updated bios from asus if corsair go knocking on their door.

The bit about the version number is interesting since the gentleman trying to help me on the Asus forums had a similar situation. He couldn't get the memory (same kit) to run stable at the rated settings and he also has a Rampage II Extreme motherboard. He RMA'd the modules and went from a v3.2 kit to a v2.2 kit and that fixed the problem for him.

As for me and RMA'ing, it's more of a timing thing. I've all the paperwork for the RMA, I'm just stuck on when to go through with it because throughout the shipping/processing duration (which could be from one to two weeks) I'll be without a working computer.

Yeah, I have v3.1 (if I recall correctly) and I have issues with going above 1333 Mhz. I'd like to go to version v2.1 or v2.2 since those seem to behave better with the Asus R2E. I'm just not all that comfortable going without a working computer for two weeks. I can't just order more from New Egg, either, since there's no way to guarantee that I will get the correct version.

Yeah, I meant V 2.1 and 3.1..doh, anyway I think I will RMA, why should I settle for under performing ram, the place where I am going to RMA it suggested it could be the CPU causing the problem as they are intended for 1066 ram max, I'm not buying that so RMA it is.

I have gone through every possible configuration I can in the bios to try and get stable at 1600 " XMP profiles included " it just will not run at that speed, stock or overclocked CPU.

1202Mhz 7 7 7 20 where I am at now is perfectly stable with a 4Ghz overclock. There have been other revisions of the mobo so who's to say that these have not caused some compatibility problems with the ram, unless you test all the revisions who's to know. Maybe it is the CPU, I won't know until I get some more ram to test it with. CPU-Z screen below.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/443/capture44.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Well it's is not the mobo or CPU that is the problem, it's the corsair ram, my mate lent me his 6GB of ******** ram and it runs perfectly at its rated speed of 1600Mhz whilst the corsair would just freeze the system or reboot, at 1200Mhz it was fine but 1600 was a no go. So I RMA the ram today, they will probably sent me back some more corsair and if that still is dodgy, I will ebay it and buy ram that works!

Archived