Corsair Community

Do you defragment your SSD?

PeroTT

Hi,

i am just about to receive my spanking new X128 and will do a fresh install of Win7 Ult X64.

i have read all the stickies and tweaks and will make sure to follow most of them.

i do though have a quesion on defragmentation of the SSD; i understand that scheduled defrag should be turned off for "obvoius" reasons, but is an occasional defrag, f.ex. after the fresh install of the OS and apps, ok and maybe more importantly, will it have any performance benefit as on a spinning HD?

Cheers,

Some people recommend consolidate free space and clean this new space with for example CCleaner or other erasing software. Options/Settings/Secure file deletion(slower) choose disks to clean space and in Cleaner (Advanced section) choose Wipe Free Space. In the end Run Cleaner (it can take some time - depends of free space size). I didn't invent it, just a random finding on other company's forum.

I would *not* defragment. There is no need for it, and it's actually impossible because there is no 1:1 mapping of NTFS blocks to SSD blocks, and even if it was possible, proximity of blocks does not speed up an SSD.

On the other hand, unless you have TRIM, defragmenting will eat up even more of those fast fresh blocks.

I think every SSD FAQ I've seen recommends to turn off defrag and Windows now does it automatically when it sees an SSD ... and for good reasons

Also recommend consolidate free space and when clean this new space with "WIPER" v0/5/2/5 (you can find on ocz forum)

Wiping Free Space with for example CCleaner or other erasing software don't restore performance on your sdd

Wipe Free Space = write "0" but it's not clean cells

Archived