Corsair Community

Buy x64 or p64?

snakeaj

i am planing to buy a SSD as system Drive for win7 x64.

the x64 is little bit more expensive then the p64 but i find lot of recommends for the p64.

what drive would you recommend - dont care about the price - i dont care about that few bugs.

what would be the better drive for a Raid0 or maybe raid10 setup.

thanks for your minds!

alex

From what I read the bigger memory si because the Samsung controler is more suspectable to stutters, etc.

As far as I know there are no firmware updates wioth trim command for either as of yet. I do know that the other m/f using the Indilinx controlers already have firmware updates adding trim support. The responce in these forums is that there are still issues with the firmware updating program. They say Corsair is trying to assure that no users encouter issues while doing a firmware update before they make it available

• Corsair Employee

Randy

I am sorry but the Performance series or Samsung based SSD's would be the best choice and there are no shudder issues with the current SSD's Extreme or Performance series.

The shudder issue was with first generation drives that had no or very little cache.

And I would suggest the Samsung Performance series as the best choice and most compatible SSD on the market.

I was referring only about performance and from many many articles that I have read during my recent research, the Indilinx Barefoot controller is far superior to the Samsung controller.

To quote your own SSD section of this website:

"Built using the renowned Indilinx Barefoot controller and Samsung flash memory, Extreme Series solid-state drives deliver exceptionally high performance, and are ideal for use either as a single drive or in multiple-drive RAID 0 configurations on desktop PCs wherever extreme performance is paramount."

By saying the Extreme series is higher performance I in no way am saying anything derogatory about the P series.

Maximum PC magazine's latest issue rates the Indilinx drives as the best on the market. They actually gave the award to one of the competitors, but mentioned the other m/f in the write up, stating they were all essentially the same. Unfortunately they did not mention that Corsair also offers Indilinx based drives probably because they had also mentioned that the have the best TRIM support available, and Corsair currently does not offer this. I only assume this is why Corsair was not mentioned, I have no knowledge for sure on this of course.

• Corsair Employee
I think you are reading more into what was said, not to be rude; but I would agree Indolinx has better performance or had better performance at the time of that article. But the difference is minimal in my opinion, and the Samsung based controller has proven to be far less problematic. Not that there are any problems just it has been more compatible and requires less out side manipulation IE an external TRIM function or utility to Clean the unused space..

Archived