Corsair Community

Memory compatibility

rick475

Hi,

my system is quite unstable with that nvlddmkm.sys problem and i'm checking out every component in my system.

I have a set of Twin2x2048-6400C4DHX DDR2 800 plus a set of Twin2x4096-6400C4DHX DDR2 800 on an Asus maximus formula motherboard chipset X38, latest bios.

Here are my 3 questions.

1. Is this setup compatible with my motherboard (2x1gb + 2x2gb) ?

2. Do i have to increase the voltage ?

3. Can the memory be more stable if it runs at 800mhz instead of 667 (my fsb is at 333) ?

I've already tried memtest, running my computer with 2 sticks only and also tried to increase the voltage, it didn't help my case with the nvlddmkm problem.

I'm looking for a confirmation from an expert to see if i'm right or wrong with this setup.

Thanks

of course it points to Nvidia, however Nvidia support says nvlddmkm is usually caused by unstable systems.

So now i'm investigating the memory department. If an expert here tells me everything is fine, i'll move on to other things.

I checked out the memory compatibility database from corsair with my motherboard and looks like the 1gb and 2gb sticks use 2.1 volts. So because there's no difference, it should run fine in my opinion.

Also on idle my memory is consuming 1.98v, on load it goes around 2.13. When Corsair suggests 2.1v is it on idle or load ? cause if it's idle, on load it should go to 2.2v...

thanks

I checked out the memory compatibility database from corsair with my motherboard and looks like the 1gb and 2gb sticks use 2.1 volts. So because there's no difference, it should run fine in my opinion.

This is not entirely accurate. You are mixing 2 completely different modules which can cause instability or even cause the sytem to not post. The voltage rating is not necessarily relevent. Mixing different ICs or memory with different PCBs is not a good idea.

This is not entirely accurate. You are mixing 2 completely different modules which can cause instability or even cause the sytem to not post. The voltage rating is not necessarily relevent. Mixing different ICs or memory with different PCBs is not a good idea.

I read something about that in the motherboard manual :

"You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lower-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation."

If I my english is good enough i think it means that you can have a setup of 2x2gb + 2x1gb without problems right ?

I tried that myself since i have exactly the same memory as you and it failed with flying colors no matter what i did. I even tried Twin2x4096-6400C4DHX (two sets) and also failed to get that working also after 15 hours. I'm using the P5Q deluxe mind you so i can't say what will happen with your motherboard since its different. But yea i would only recommend the same pair and try to get the same version also which may avoid many problems.

Archived