Corsair Community

19.2v Reported by DMM on 12v Rail Under Load

insanewords

I've been trying to track down an extremely rare system lock up on my new build (only happened twice in 4 months now). In the course of my testing I decided to hook up a Digital MultiMeter to my TX750W to check its readings against those reported by my testing software (O.C.C.T.). The software reports that the 12v rail idles at ~11.93 and drops to 11.85 under load. The multimeter reported that 12v was idling at 12.20 but under load it shot up to 19.2v!! The molex connector I tested was just a free connector with nothing hooked up between it and the power supply. After killing the load, the voltage slowly came back down to 12.2v. Did I somehow test this incorrectly or is it possible that the 12v rail is really cranking up to 19.2v under load? If so, would this indicate a problem with my PSU or is this by design?

Nevermind - was unable to recreate the results of the original test with a friend's DMM (12.12 idle 12.14 - 12.15 load). My DMM kept throwing out weird results until I realized the batteries were just about shot and replaced them. Now it's results line up nicely with my loaner DMM.

Thread can be closed, thanks.

Archived