Corsair Community

HDD Noise in Hot Swap Bay

fifo28

I am just getting the 800D up and running and I am truly amazed at how quiet the case is. Compared to my P182 it blows it away. My only complaint is the noise of the hard drives are incredible. I have a raptor and a 7200rpm drive in the hot swap bays and it really is very loud. My guess is that since these drives are not rubber mounted in any way they tend to vibrate through the case. I never heard the drives in the P182 and if I did it was very faint. Has anyone else had this problem? Can it be corrected in any way? is the lower drive bay any better?

My guess is that since these drives are not rubber mounted in any way they tend to vibrate through the case. ... Has anyone else had this problem? Can it be corrected in any way?

Has anyone found any anti-vibration pads that are compatible with the 800D hotswap bays?

Thanks,

x509

• 2 months later...
I have a velociraptor and two 1.5 TB drives in the hotswap bays. I could hear the 1.5 TB drives wake up if I would leave the computer running for a while and then save something to that array. They would have to wake up. I changed the HDD sleep power settings from 20 minutes to never and I do not hear anything anymore. Is it just the noise of the drives coming through or some actual vibration?

• 2 weeks later...
Mine doesn't vibrate but it is more or less the hard drive making the noise. I just bought this drive and now i can hear it over the rest of the drives. And they are all WD's and i know they are a little louder then most but i can hear the newest one over everything in the pc when it is churning data.

I just finished building my new computer, and I have the same high-pitch noise when information is accessed on my HDD's. the part that freaked me out is I have 2 solid state drives in RAID 0. So they shouldn't make a sound. The drives are in the hot swap bays. Must be something with the case if everyone else is having this same problem.

i have the same issue with the hotswap bays and vibrations from the drives. it was driving me mad. at first i thought it was the h50 and i disconnected it along with all the other fans to isolate the sound. it is definetely coming from the hotswap bays that are all occupied with drives. i have just left one drive with the os in the top enlosure and removed the other 3 drives and this has eliminated the problem. so there is obvioulsy some issue re sound dampening and vibrations from the bay area. i will try using 2 drives and work my way up to see when the sound comes back. i'll report my findings soon

i have the same issue with the hotswap bays and vibrations from the drives. it was driving me mad. at first i thought it was the h50 and i disconnected it along with all the other fans to isolate the sound. it is definetely coming from the hotswap bays that are all occupied with drives. i have just left one drive with the os in the top enlosure and removed the other 3 drives and this has eliminated the problem. so there is obvioulsy some issue re sound dampening and vibrations from the bay area. i will try using 2 drives and work my way up to see when the sound comes back. i'll report my findings soon

update. the noise/vibrations was coming from my 2TB Hitachi drive. don't know if it is because of the drive size causing more vibrations etc but there is no noise present when just my 2 x 750gb drives and 1 x 500 gb drive are connected. may have to consider putting the Hitachi in the lower case bays and hopefully this will sort the problem. will report back in due course

• 2 weeks later...
Would like to know if it sorts your problem using the lower rack mount. I will be waiting to see what you come up with.

i got rid of the Hitachi, wouldn't recommend to anyone as the vibrating noise was a pain. got 2 samung f2 1.5tb drives and they are quiet. i did try the hitachi in the lower rack and it was even louder in there.

• 2 months later...
Deskstars is what you had? Don't feel bad my new WD sata 6.0 64meg cache hard drive died after 3 days use. Think i am going with the F3's this go around. Glad you got it sorted.

Samsung F3s are noisy in 700D. I have two of them in RAID1 and I can hear them across the room, 3m. I could not hear them in my older case Antec P180.

Corsair should isolate HDD compartment from other parts of the case with rubber padding between metal surfaces because all vibrations coming from HDDs are intensified and transferred everywhere else in the case.

HDD grommets are also quite small. They are much thicker and bigger in P180. I have to try if those suppress better vibrations.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Samsung F3s are noisy in 700D. I have two of them in RAID1 and I can hear them across the room, 3m. I could not hear them in my older case ******** P180.

Corsair should isolate HDD compartment from other parts of the case with rubber padding between metal surfaces because all vibrations coming from HDDs are intensified and transferred everywhere else in the case.

HDD grommets are also quite small. They are much thicker and bigger in P180. I have to try if those suppress better vibrations.

So the HD grommets on the 700D don't help much ?

Archived