Corsair Community

Will the memory be too high for this MB and cooler?

sparky1

I am about to order from newegg Asus P7P55D-E Pro, and a i7 860 and a Thermaltake SpinQ Performance Series cooler.

Rumor is that some of the RAM may not fit because it is too high and will not fit under the heatsink. I am considering CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 or CMD4GX3M2A1600C8.

Will either module fit and will one work better than the other?

The part numbers listed are slightly different than what is recommended on the Corsair support page that recommende RAM. The Corsair RAM tool recommends CMG4GX3M2A2000C8, CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 or CMX4GX3M2A1600C9.

I don't mind spending more on the C8 RAM. Also, I do OC some but nothing exteme. I like the upgraded heatsink because the i7 will run faster when it is cooler with the power management and turbo etc.

Any advice???

Thanks!

sparky1

I understand that electrically all the memory is compatable. The question is will it fit in the motherboard I want to buy with the heatsink I want to use. I have seen warnings that some of the memory is too high and will not fit under the larger heatsink because it's too high and the heatsink is too big.

Unles you're planning on filling all your memory slots then I don't see any problem, use the free slots instead that won't interfere with your cooler. I had the same problem with my noctua cooler - i just put the memory on other free slots. I am planning in the future to use the other slots though but in my case it's a cooler fan which interferes, which i can easily remove. i can definitely recommend Noctua - the nh-u12p (i think it is).

Archived