Corsair Community

VX550W overheating and slow boot?

homestarrunner

A few days ago I replaced my 300w stock power supply with the vx550w to power my new graphics card. For the most part, everything has gone smoothly, except for two things: my processor is now around 10 degrees warmer under load, and every time I turn my computer on it takes about a minute before it starts to boot with the BIOS on the screen (more on that later). What surprises me is that I have been searching for complaints on corsair power supplies overheating all day and I havent found anything. To clear things up, normally, my processor would be less than 60c, but I upgraded the power supply, and while playing a game, it got up to 79c (but the gpu stayed around a nice and cool 30-40c). what I need to know is, did I get a faulty power supply, and do I need a better case and/or heatsink? After buying a new video card, power supply, and monitor, I don't really have the money to spend, and I would rather not have my power supply RMA'ed, as it took me over two hours to install it. Now back to the other problem, which isn't as big of a deal, but it is starting to annoy me. Since I upgraded my power supply, when I push the power button, for about a minute, nothing comes on but the blue light and the fans. After that minute it boots up normally. What is causing that and what can I do about it? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Could it be that while installing it you dislodged the CPU heatsink slightly? That would explain the higher temperatures, and as for the booting thing it sounds like a motherboard problem. You could try restoring factory settings on it and see if that solves the problem.

And how do I restore factory settings on the motherboard?

There should be an option at the first screen to come up when you hit the power button which shows a button which you must push to enter setup, push that button and from inside the menus that it takes you to there should be a restore factory settings or reset settings button or a similar button.

Archived