Corsair Community

Hmmm... I think my X64 SSD is defective, but how to make sure?

georg_muc

Hello,

I am quite new as an SSD user - I thought I'd treat me with some super-performance (at least felt...) on my laptop, but I ran into some trouble.

The short story: I suspect the SSD is defective (loses data), but how do I make sure that it _is_ the SSD?

And now for the details:

I put the X64 into a Dell D630 as system drive and did a complete reinstall from scratch with Windows 7 Home Premium; apart from the empty, unformatted SSD only the Win7 DVD and the Dell driver CD were present. Installation went fine, all drivers installed, laptop ready to go; everything also working fine including standby / power saving mode and also hibernation. Performance also felt fine, fastest Windows boot I ever experienced. So far so good...

However, after having the PC switched off (hibernation) for a few days I started it again, and then the problems started:

- Win7 reported a defective hibernation file and told me it can only do a normal boot.

- When doing this normal boot, Win7 reported it needs to repair the installation. It did so, rebooted, repaired again, and finally Win7 came up (and behaved normal, as far as I could tell).

- This repeated one time when going into suspend.

- Since then it seems to work normally (for the past hours, at least).

So, it sure feels like the SSD loses data; but how can I make sure? I'd rather use some kind of tool to check the SSD instead of reinstalling Win7 completely, wait for the error to happen again, finally go ahead with setting the rest of the software up only to have it crash on me then...

How can I check whether the SSD is OK or not?

Any hint appreciated.

Regards,

Georg

Did you read thru the windows 7 tweak section. also does this only seem to be a hibernation issue. turn that off and just run sleep mode for a few days. the benefit of SSD is that sleep mode is just like Hibernation for power saving. keep us informed. I am expecting to do an install next week.

Hello highspeeddata,

I'm not sure that I can completely follow here:

also does this only seem to be a hibernation issue. turn that off and just run sleep mode for a few days. the benefit of SSD is that sleep mode is just like Hibernation for power saving.

I don't think what occured was only a hibernation issue; when the hiberfile is defective, the resulting full boot should still work without problem - but I had other defects as well (although Win7 did not tell me what exactly).

Also, hibernation still is significantly different from sleep mode: in sleep mode the laptop's DRAM is still powered (although in a low-power state) to retain its content, so it would drain the battery; if you don't want that, you need to either do a full shutdown or use hibernation.

Did you read thru the windows 7 tweak section.

Yes; but what specifically are you getting at?

I know that hibernation will cause significant writes on the SSD; still, in some cases I think it is worth it. And I didn't find any reference to hibernation being in any way problematic when running an SSD.

Regards,

Georg

Hello NfiniteZERO,

You might want to check if C1E (or enhanced halt state) is enabled under Power Management in the BIOS.

as much as I'd like to - in Dell's BIOS (Latitude D630) there are no detailed power saving modes available (I just searched again).

So, thanks for the hint - but for my Dell it looks like that's not applicable.

Regards,

Georg

Georg,

It sounds like a cache problem to me. Basically Windoze 7 is writing the hibernation file and before it can be fully written the power to the SSD is terminated. Try this and tell me if it works. And yes, you will loose some performance but I doubt it will be much since you are using a SSD.

Open a Windows Explorer window, right click on your C: drive (SSD), select Properties, select Hardware tab, select your SSD, click Properties, click Change Settings, and another properties window will pop open, select Policies, uncheck Enable write caching on the device, select OK, and I think you can close all those other windows left open.

One question, if you disable Hibernation, do you have any file corruption when you turn the computer back on?

I'm afraid that if this does not work then you may need to contact Dell. I also have a D630, got it 2 years ago. It does not have a SSD but it works great.

-Joe

Archived