Corsair Community

New Computer Power Down when standing upright

cheers3983

I just built my new system with the Corsair TX750W and a Asus P6T motherboard and CoolerMaster HAF 922 case. When the case is upright (in its normal position) the system will power down within 30 seconds. When the case is on its side (with motherboard facing up), the system will stay on. When it powers down after 30 seconds while upright, I hear no beep (which is what I would expect if the motherboard wanted to give me an error code). So I'm suspicious about the power supply. Any ideas on what this might be? I checked the cabling and I see nothing that could be causing this.

Thought about taking the PSU out of its area and changing the orientation?

Sounds like heat protection more than anything else. When it's flat, the CPU heatsink is resting on the CPU, but when upright there's a gap. Sounds like it's not secured to the socket enough.

It sounds to me like you have a short. My guess is around the I/O panel or possibly a standoff in the wrong spot. Try running the system with the PSU outside the case and turn the PSU around in your hands some and see what happens. If the system does not shut off, try removing the MOBO and posting the system on a non-conductive surface.

Thanks for the quick responses! I will try those suggestions.

Just out of curiosity, if it was the CPU fan not being securely fastened, how could that cause the system to power off? Is that some sort of motherboard security feature? The machine turns off before the system even boots. (it turned off as I was just starting to go through the BIOS setup)

I'll give it a shot tonight. At least it worked lying flat. I was able to format the HD (took 5 hours!) and install Windows 7 on it.

Your suggestion was correct. The fan/heatsink mechanism (the entire thing that came with the Intel CPU) wasn't properly attached. (I swear it was when I installed it) After refitting it, the problem went away. MUCH THANKS!

Great news, we like to hear about simple fixes that do not require shipping and therefore cause you down time. Chalk another one up for Wired. ::pirate::

Archived