Corsair Community

My SSD Supports TRIM?

jcossin

Q: Does my X-Series SSD support the TRIM function in Windows 7?

X-Series SSDs with firmware v1.0 do not support the TRIM function. Upgraded firmware revisions, including revisions with TRIM support, and updating utilities will be made available from the SSD Download Archive on the Corsair forum.

At this time, TRIM is not supported. Crystaldisk is incorrect.

At this time, TRIM is not supported. Crystaldisk is incorrect.

Ok, now I'm really confused. :confused:

In this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=80757

RAMGUY responded to someone with a X series 128GB that their drive WAS supporting TRIM already because Crystaldisk said it was supporting. So apparently there are drives out there in the X Series supporting TRIM.

I have the X Series 64GB and Crystaldisk says it is supported. How can I know for sure? Is there a firmware version for the 64GB X Series that supports TRIM? If so how can I tell if I have that firmware, or for that matter what version firmware I have?

Ok, now I'm really confused. :confused:

In this thread:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=80757

RAMGUY responded to someone with a X series 128GB that their drive WAS supporting TRIM already because Crystaldisk said it was supporting. So apparently there are drives out there in the X Series supporting TRIM.

I have the X Series 64GB and Crystaldisk says it is supported. How can I know for sure? Is there a firmware version for the 64GB X Series that supports TRIM? If so how can I tell if I have that firmware, or for that matter what version firmware I have?

That was incorrect information from back in AUG 2009 when WIN 7 was still in BETA. Read the last post from DEC 9th:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=430199&postcount=16

I do not expect Microsoft's version of Trim to be fully supported till sometime next year. As I have stated Microsoft and all of the SSD Manufacturers are working on that so it will just take some more time to get it all worked out.

@Diecast61

Are you reading the firmware number written on the drive label or using software? And if you are using software, please tell us whe the label states.

According to the FAQ, firmware 1.0 is the current release, there is no version 1.1.

-Joe

Why would the label and the software not read the same. I to would be curious which one is correct. Drive is expected next week. hope its the latest FW. come windows TRIM.

Why would the label and the software not read the same. I to would be curious which one is correct. Drive is expected next week. hope its the latest FW. come windows TRIM.

I don't think the software was incorrect in this case about reporting version 1.1, as for TRIM support, I can't answer that. I have read in this forum that the software has been wrong in stating TRIM was supported. I myself have never used Crystal Disk Info software.

any update on firmware 1,1?

I am waiting to get trim on my new x32... I am concidering purchasing a 64 or 128 GB drive, and I definately like Corsair however why should I wait for Corsair to offer a trim / garbage collector when the competition is already, and has been for a while now offering updates to keep their drives working top notch.

Basically, please convince me that it would benefit me to wait for Corsair versus the competition.

I definately like Corsair however why should I wait for Corsair to offer a trim / garbage collector when the competition is already, and has been for a while now offering updates to keep their drives working top notch.

Basically, please convince me that it would benefit me to wait for Corsair versus the competition.

If you do any indepth reading or research, you'll notice that these current firmware updates that the competition is offering are creating a lot of bricks. We are taking criticism for not offering these updates. However, we are not yet satisfied with the safety of these firmwares nor of the update process. So, we err to the side of caution which insures that our customers keep working drives until safe/stable updates are available as opposed to making expensive paperweights. When the updates are satisfactory we'll offer them.

Ok Yellowbeard, fair enough. I was just reading an article on Anandtech, which many people concider about as high of authority as there is. He tested 1819 and concluded that it works perfect. He did many types of test and also concluded that formating the drive and deleting a file involves Trim, as was suppose to happen, and that simply deleting a partition did not involved Trim. This was not a surprising result actually. The performance test on writes proved to be the same after Trim and were almost half without Trim enabled. They concluded that Trim does indeed work perfect in assuring drive performance remains as new!

TRIM itself is not the issue. The problem is that there is no way yet to deploy these firmwares to end users that we believe is safe enough.

We're looking at it from a support and customer service side. Some of the competitors offering these firmwares are also replacing a lot of drives. I can only imagine that there are some extremely unhappy customers out there with lost data and expensive paperweights.

Yellowbeard,

I can see what you mean about concerns for deploying firmware updates. As someone who has worked in technical support and still handles all technology related issues at my office and our home network I can see how many users do not and should not apply firmware updates. These same people should not do bios flashing or any other type of hardware level updates.

However, for the technically adept people, who can follow technical directions; if there is an update that actually does work, if applied correctly, then we should have it available to us. If we wait until there is a method of appling a firmware update that can not be messed up by end users who should not being applying these updates in the first place, we may never have Trim for the rest of us.

Yellowbeard,

I can see what you mean about concerns for deploying firmware updates. As someone who has worked in technical support and still handles all technology related issues at my office and our home network I can see how many users do not and should not apply firmware updates. These same people should not do bios flashing or any other type of hardware level updates.

However, for the technically adept people, who can follow technical directions; if there is an update that actually does work, if applied correctly, then we should have it available to us. If we wait until there is a method of appling a firmware update that can not be messed up by end users who should not being applying these updates in the first place, we may never have Trim for the rest of us.

It's not an issue with any individuals. Some of the firmware tools themselves appear to be unstable or unreliable. For unexplained reasons, they create bricks even if there is no user error.

Archived