Corsair Community

Just got my new TX650W

robertin75

Hello:

After one fried motherboard and 2 hard disk drives (first one lasted 9 months and second one just 3 weeks) I replaced my old generic PSU with Corsair's.

Can someone give me some recommendations as to how to make sure all the components are being cooled correctly and not overheating?

Hopefully my new SATA HDD will now last at least a few years.

Thanks

You can use it but I never have.You really dont need to know how fast your case fan is running.That fan header on the motherboard does nothing more than if you connected directly to the power supply.It still runs full speed.The only fan connector on the motherboard thats important is the cpu connector because its temperature controlled.

Looking at your motherboard's spec's, and it looks like it should have 2 4-pin fan connections (one for the CPU fan and one for a potential chassis fan). Having a 4-pin fan connection on the motherboard means you can usually control the fan speed directly/ have it done automatically using a "Pulse Width Modulation" utility. (basically an electronic throttle, it reduces and raises voltage like a wave to control speed)

If you want a simpler option, any fan that has 2 or 3 fan connection pins will be completely backward compatible with the 4-pin connection on your motherboard. 2-pin fans have simple "on/off" funtionality and 3-pins are the same save for the third pin which Can track the RPM of the connected fan. 2/3-pin fans have no fan speed control through the motherboard.

your not limited to an amount of fans based on motherboard connections though. fans can be run by a standard 4-pin Molex connector from your tx650 PSU. You can leave your extra 4-pin connection clear if you want. there are adapters available to switch between 2/3/4-pin fan connectors from the fan to standard 4-pin molex from your power supply. im not sure about vice versa.

some fans will have a small switch you can toggle on the inside to control speed, or even a physical speed control knob you can mount in an available 5.25" or 3.5" bay.

given your hardware setup, particularly the lack of a gas-guzzling graphics card, i think it's safe to say you can get away with relatively few fans for your chassis (so 2-3 max).

(2 at medium'ish rpm or 3 at low'ish rpm)

now that you know most of what i know about fans.. if your worried this might turn your quiet pc into an industrial air conditioner, you can buy relatively quiet fans to control the total dB output of your computer. if you're thinking of buying a fan controlled by a Pulse Width Modulation utility (mentioned above) as well as having some noise concerns, its worthwhile to keep in mind that if the frequency used is in the audible frequency-range of 20-20,000 Hz, it will be transmitted via the fan, acting like a loudspeaker in which the motorcoils and the fan blades act as coil and membrane of the speaker respectively. ( Basically if your going to use a PWM controlled fan to control extra noise, it could have the opposite effect and become louder).

uhh basically if your concerned about noise, invest in quiet fans or fans with physical speed controllers (switches or knobs).

your best bet to ensure all your components are being cooled efficiently is to keep airflow at its best inside the case. so that means keep extra cables and lengthy cord out of the way as best you can. also ensure when buying fans that the total outtake of air is greater than the total intake, this is measured in cfm (cubic feet per min) and is usually stated on the product box or product page. cfm can be adjusted by speed control explained above. greater outtake cfm values ensure that no hot pockets of air can form in your case. keep in mind the fan on your PSU will add to the outtake cfm a little (corsair hasn't given me any info on the exact values)

i think that everything you should know about fans.. and proper cooling. other options are available, but for your system fans are probably enough, anything else would be overkill. but theres nothing wrong with overkill :P so investigate more if options if you wish.

hope this was close to the answer you expected. good luck

Archived