Corsair Community

RAM consistently gets corrupted on my system

nomad4

I've RMA'd a billion times with Corsair, and right now, I'm convinced that it's only a matter of time before the RAM goes bad. I just ran Memtest and there were errors galore. I have no clue why the RAM just goes bad after several months of use.

I use stock speeds (800 MHz) and the timings are automatically set (5-5-5-18). The voltage, IIRC, is automatically set at 1.8V, but I've tried in the past setting it to 2.1V (as recommended on the sticker on the RAM stick).

I don't overclock the CPU either.

Please help me determine the causes of the RAM getting corrupted. I test the sticks once they come in from the RMA, and they are fine. Then months later I hit a bunch of BSODs and it's always the memory that's the issue. I am getting fed up with having to replace my RAM every three months or so.

Yes, I have the latest BIOS loaded.

CPU Stuff

Frequency: 2666 MHz

Multiplier: 8x

PCIe x16_3, MHz: 100

SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, MHz: Auto (200)

HT Multiplier

nForce SPP -> nForce MCP: 5x

nForce SPP <- nForce MCP: 5x

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled

HT Spread Spectrum: Auto

PCIe(MCP) Spread Spectrum: Auto

SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled

Memory Stuff:

SLI-Ready Memory Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Auto

Actual MEM (DDR), MHz: 800

Timing (Automatically set): 5-5-5-18-2T

tRRD - 3

tRC - 23

tWR - 5

tWTR - 9

tREF - 7.8uS

Voltages (all auto):

CPU Core: 1.20V

CPU FSB: 1.1V

Memory: 1.850V

nForce SPP: 1.30V

nForce MCP: 1.5V

HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.2V

System BIOS Cacheable: Disabled

HPET Function: Enabled

Voltages (all auto):

CPU Core: 1.20V

CPU FSB: 1.1V

Memory: 1.850V

nForce SPP: 1.30V Try the 1.35v to 1.5v range.

nForce MCP: 1.5V

HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.2V Try 1 step above stock.

System BIOS Cacheable: Disabled

HPET Function: Enabled

Try adjusting the voltages in red above and particularly the nForce SPP which the memory controller. Typically, you'll need more than stock voltage on the SPP with 4 modules.

Thank you Yellowbeard.

However, considering that I have already gotten nonstop errors in the first thirty seconds of Memtest (I'm surprised I can even boot the computer), will adjusting these voltages "fix" it? Or will these settings simply help me prevent fresh RAM from becoming corrupted?

As I said above, if you have had multiple failures of memory on 1 motherboard, the issue is not likely the memory. So no, simply changing voltages won't prevent that.

However, if you have been getting memory related errors in the past due to incorrect BIOS or voltage settings, then yes, these changes may correct this.

If you have had more than 2 sets of memory fail in this board, and you are not able to get stability by tuning the BIOS, I would suggest you RMA the motherboard.

Like I said, it's only been recent Corsair Dominator RAM that has been giving me issues. The original 2x1GB Corsair that shipped with my computer never got corrupted even after more than six-eight months of use. So I don't suppose it would be my MB.

I've RMA'd a billion times with Corsair, and right now, I'm convinced that it's only a matter of time before the RAM goes bad. I just ran Memtest and there were errors galore. I have no clue why the RAM just goes bad after several months of use.

I use stock speeds (800 MHz) and the timings are automatically set (5-5-5-18). The voltage, IIRC, is automatically set at 1.8V, but I've tried in the past setting it to 2.1V (as recommended on the sticker on the RAM stick).

I don't overclock the CPU either.

Please help me determine the causes of the RAM getting corrupted. I test the sticks once they come in from the RMA, and they are fine. Then months later I hit a bunch of BSODs and it's always the memory that's the issue. I am getting fed up with having to replace my RAM every three months or so.

How many sets have you had total that failed in this motherboard?

I can't remember exactly...it must've been three to four times. I had bought 2x1GB kit, and then they failed. I RMA'd it but they sent me different RAM because the one I used was discontinued (they sent me RAM with the same model that I'm using now). Then the 2GB sticks failed, and then I RMA'd it again, then once more. And now it has failed again....

I just want to emphasize that the old kit (2x1GB, Dominator IIRC) that came with the computer worked perfectly fine for the longest time. When I decided to upgrade the RAM, it was those sticks that I purchased on NewEgg that went bad. And so did the one's I got RMA'd.

I suppose so...the only thing is that it'll be quite a pain to RMA the MB: it's got a LC unit on it, something I'm completely unfamiliar with.

Thanks for the help anyhow.

Actually, before I go, I'd like to know: what do the settings you recommended to change achieve, and how?

And lastly, does anyone else have any opinions? Because the thing that's still bothering me is that I've used the original 2x1GB sticks of Corsair Dominator RAM that came with my system without any issue (again, like I said, for six to eight months). Logically, if they don't screw up, but all the new RAM that I get RMA'd does screw up (all within three to four months), I would think that it's not the MB and that it's the RAM. Might it have anything to do with the fact that I'm running it at 800 MHz and not 1066 MHz?

I based my opinion on the amount of dead memory you are reporting. You have more dead memory in 1 motherboard at stock speeds than I have had in 8 years of overclocking and tinkering. This includes memory I have attached dry ice containers to, memory I have ran at way higher than suggested voltages, etc. It's just very odd to me that 1 person is having this many failures. The only other likely culprit is the motherboard.

I based my opinion on the amount of dead memory you are reporting. You have more dead memory in 1 motherboard at stock speeds than I have had in 8 years of overclocking and tinkering. This includes memory I have attached dry ice containers to, memory I have ran at way higher than suggested voltages, etc. It's just very odd to me that 1 person is having this many failures. The only other likely culprit is the motherboard.

I understand what you're saying and your reasoning, but like I said, the big question to me is why the original RAM was perfectly fine, yet when it comes to this new RAM it fails so often. I'm not saying it's not the MB or making any other conclusions as I have no expertise in this aside from having tinkered and built systems before.

From my point of view, I have this one rock-solid set of RAM that has never failed on me yet (the CM2X1024-6400C4D). This set came with my HP Blackbird 002. I used it for six to eight months without any BSODs/failures.

I then purchase somenew RAM on NewEgg, the same part number (to double my memory and to take ensure compatibility). I install it, and then some months later, those new sticks fail on me. Not the originals, but the NewEgg ones. I RMA it. In the meantime, I continue using my original CM2X1024-6400C4D. I receive a pair of CM2X2048-8500C5D. Some months later, they fail, and I send those out. While I am waiting for my RMA, I purchase another set of CM2X2048-8500C5D. So two weeks later, I have 2 pairs of CM2X2048-8500C5D.

Again, some months later, the both pairs of the CM2X2048-8500C5D fails. Again, I can always rely on the CM2X1024-6400C4D set to carry me over, and that's what I use.

So empirically, the CM2X1024-6400C4D set that came with my Blackbird 002 has never failed me, and they have outlasted the CM2X2048-8500C5D sets time and time again. If you read NewEgg reviews, plenty of other people seem to have issues with failing RAM as well. Even they question the quality control of Corsair.

I appreciate the lifetime limited warranty, but really, considering that I have to pay for return shipping, there's only so many times that I will RMA. Not only that, I have since put the CM2x1024-6400C4D RAM into someone else's computer, so I can't RMA unless it's an advance RMA.

One thing that crossed my mind: could it have something to do with the fact that I am filling up all 4 slots?

• 2 months later...
I have since upped the SPP (northbridge) voltage one step (0.1 volts) from 1.4 to 1.5 volts, and what used to be "corrupted" RAM is now seemingly running just fine. I will get around to running MemTest and all, but I've been using the computer for three quarters of a day now and it hasn't failed on me yet, even through some gaming as well as a couple of HD videos.

Archived