Corsair Community

ram recommendations, System not listed

techy1

The system is a Dell dimension 8400 (NOT Media) And I have received conflicting info from other sites. Dell Lists the CorsairTWIN2X4096-6400C5 and the TWIN2X2048-6400 as being compatible with this system (A pair of 2gig and 1gig modules respectively). However ******** Tells me the pair of 4gig modules will fry the MOBO or corrupt the OS (neither of which I care to do). The MOBO has four slots and I would prefer the 2x 2gig option as it is cheaper than 4x 1gig route. At this point I need to confirm what my options are so I can make an order. Also I understand there are two versions of these two kits, one is "newer". What are the differences between the 'old' and the "new". Any other considerations I should be aware of between using 4x 1gig modules verses 2x 2gig modules would also be very much appreciated. Thanks

The system manual CLEARLY states it will only work with 1 GB sticks max. Most likely it just won't boot with a 2 GB stick.

That model is not in the configurator. I would go with Dell branded memory. Ignore their recommendation on anything else, as the sales page list isn't designed to show compatibile memory, only memory that fits the size recommendations.

Please use only the Value Select memory with this system. The XMS series is not recommended with the Dimension 8*** series.

http://www.corsair.com/products/valueselect/default.aspx

I suggest the PC2-4200 series but, it only comes in 1GB modules. You can try 2GB modules in PC2-5300 if want but due to the age of your system, you may have issues.

Please use only the Value Select memory with this system. The XMS series is not recommended with the Dimension 8*** series.

http://www.corsair.com/products/valueselect/default.aspx

I suggest the PC2-4200 series but, it only comes in 1GB modules. You can try 2GB modules in PC2-5300 if want but due to the age of your system, you may have issues.

Please read the answer above. ::pirate::

Archived