Corsair Community

CMGTX1 vs CMGTX2

JTF195

So, I've been following the news of Corsair's announcement regarding the new CMGTX2 modules, which run at 2250mhx with 8-8-8-24 timings, and, just for kicks, looked on the corsair web store for more information, when I noticed there was another new module - the CMGTX1, which run at 2400mhz with 9-11-9-27 timings. (and wasn't mentioned in the announcement)

They are the same price, and that has me curious.

The CMGTX1 has a clear advantage on clock speed, but what about timings?

I know that the lower the timings are, the better the ram perfoms, but I don't know how significant the difference is between these two sets of timings.

So my question is, which is better - 2250mhz @ 8-8-8-24, or 2400mhz @ 9-11-9-27?

• Corsair Employees
So my question is, which is better - 2250mhz @ 8-8-8-24, or 2400mhz @ 9-11-9-27?

A: It will really depend on the MB and CPU you have as which is better. But in most cases lower timings even at a slightly lower frequency will be best.

For comparison's sake,

A ~4ghz OC'd i7 on an X58 Classified.

or to take a step backward,

A 3.7ghz OC'd QX6850 on a 790i ultra

Without even testing it, I can tell you that the X58 system at 4GHz would absolutely destroy the 790i system. It's not even a valid comparison.

That would indeed be ideal.

However, both due to budget and product availability, that is an impossible scenario.

It would appear as though the performance of the CMGTX1 and CMGTX2 memory modules is likely very similar, due to the price point being identical.

I was just curious what the tradeoffs would be between the 150mhz difference, and the "1-3-1-3" timings difference (mainly because I don't understand the magnitude of difference between the timing sets, whereas the difference in the clock speed is an easy comparison)

In every day usage, you'll never notice the difference. That's why you have to use benchmarks to even tell between the 2.

Also, once you have a system, you can do the testing yourself. Test slower frequency/tighter timings and then reset to higher frequency/higher timings. But, yoiu need to test using the system for your intended purpose. Your individual usage is the only thing that really matters as opposed to synthetic testing, so testing it yourself makes the most sense.

• Corsair Employees

It is hard to predict the way you are asking almost impossible in fact.

I suggest if you plan on only running one module and over clocking the crap out of your system going with one of these modules, other wise go with a Dominator GT set of modules the fastest your budget will permit.

• 1 month later...

Archived