Corsair Community

Corsair XMS3 4GB in a Gateway 500x?

reiola

Hi everyone, just wanted to start by saying this forum is a great source of information and very valuable!

Anyways, I have a question. I have a stock Gateway 500x PC besides the upgraded Nvidia GeForce 7600 gt video card. I ran the Corsair compatibility utility and received the following results: http://www.corsair.com/configurator/system_results.aspx?id=144224

It's saying the maximum memory that I can have is 1gb, which is what I have now. I would like to upgrade to 4gb of ram, specifically the CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800). Is this possible?

More specifically, what would happen if I put this memory into the machine, or if it wouldn't work, is there any available 4gb ram setup possible with this machine? From my research, 2gb is the same situation, but I would be open to 2gb if it came down to the 4gb not being compatable.

Thanks for your time.

sorry, maximum ram for that board is 1 gig apparently.

i've never seen a gateway computer or laptop that didnt suck just for reasons like this.

im shocked that you got a non gateway branded video card to work in it, usually they are so proprietary they have slots they havent even named yet! :P

i dont mean this as a dig, its just gateway has let me (and thousands of others) down many dozens of times and i personally have not seen or touched a decent upgradable gateway product since the company was formed.

the ram costs more than the computer is worth. (50.00) http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/781781.html

sorry.

[edit] as a personal suggestion, build one yourself to save money and use the gateway as a backup or file server. you could build a desktop screamer for under 600 bucks.

Archived