Corsair Community

Radeon HD 5870 with HX520 issue?

ceugene

I recently upgraded from a Radeon HD 4890 to the HD 5870 and my system has become unstable. Occasionally the screen will go a solid light blue and display nothing else...no mouse cursor or anything. This seems to happen more frequently when trying to enter or waking from sleep, and also when a CPU intensive task like Prime95 is running. Because of that I'm led to believe it's an issue with available power.

Normally I'd think this is ATI's problem to fix. It probably still is, but while searching for other anecdotes about the HD 5870 + blank screens I came across this post on HardOCP's forums. Two people in that thread are having the exact same problem and they also have HX520s.

Any thoughts?

I haven't ruled that out, but Anandtech's review of the HD 5870 had a Core i7 920@3.33GHz system peaking at 400W total draw measured from the outlet. As far as amps go, JonnyGuru.com implies the HX520 is a two rail or possibly a single rail design, but the HX520 was loaded with 12A on both PCIe connectors and also on the ATX connector as if it were a three rail unit like it says on the box. I'm assuming a single 5870 + loaded Q6600 draws less than that.

Archived