Corsair Community

Radiator Mounting

Gewch

Hello,

I bought this beast (800D) in September, and I have finally hoarded all of the components I need to start putting this build together. I am running a single WC loop for the CPU/NB/SB/VREGs on an EVGA E759 Classified and thought up some questions. I've been doing tons of research and looking at other builds (only could find a few on the Corsair forum and in the Group album)...anyways - Q's below:

1 - I am going to mount a Feser 360 at the top of this case. When I bought the radiator, I also bought the shroud and 6 fans for it (push/pull). I am curious if I can fit the radiator, shroud and 3 fans above the MB. Space looks tight.

2 - With the airflow in this case and having the rad at the top, what have you found to be the best fan configuration? Pushing air out of the case and through the radiator?

Thanks in advance for suggestions/recommendations/pictures.

I'm sure I'll have more questions and will post them when I think them up.

For question 1 it depends on your 5.25 devices. I can tell you you can kiss the first one goodby, so put a fan controller there. With that much space, you will need some spacers and a 90 or 45 degree fitting to get around the fans, or bay 2 is also used. For question 2 thats easy, out for sure.

Haleybox2009 is coming.

Hi gutcheck,

Thanks for your reply. I will have one LG blu-ray burner in the system and one six fan controller. The LG burner is longer than most optical drives, so I guess that will need to go one of the lower bays.

Back to Q1 - Do you think there will be room between the rad and the MB when mounted with the shroud.

It would look like (warning, poor ascii diagramming about to begin):

Top of case

================ ^

=TFC 120.3 Radiator= |

= 3 x 120mm shroud= |

= 3 x 120mm fans = |

(the arrow indicates the fans pushing air up, through the shroud, through the radiator and out of the top of the case)

Thanks - let me know if I need to clarify my incoherent babbling :)

Im not using any shrouds on my fans, but theres room for a push/pull config on the tfc 360.

There is ? Which fans are you using? I could not fit a push/pull config. using my tfc 360 as the rad is too thick, using 25mm thick fans. I thought the deepest we could go was a total of 110m from the top of the case?

Gewch, I'm using the back fan to push air in. After a lot of testing it seems to be the only way to keep the mobo temp down a reasonable amount from Ambient.

Granted I've bought a few 140mm higher speed fans but have not gotten around to testing them. Although I can say the 140 mm Koolance 1700 rpm fan is very noisy at full speed. The Yate Loom D14SM-12 (1400rpm) is a much nicer fan.

Anyway buy one of those magnetic filters and stick it on the back to filter the air being drawn in. I purchased my filters at PCS, and they work well.

• 1 month later...

Oh man, and I thought I had a struggle trying to get a radiator/shrouds/fans mounted to the top of this case internally.

Mounting an MCP655 was an even more delightful experience. I used the idea from the Aquadesian and mounted the pump horizontally in the lower hard drive cage. I am going to route the tubing through the two grommets and not behind the case though. I also will be mounting my reservoir tonight. Should be another interesting experience. Another suprise was the fan controller I purchased would not fit in the drive bay. I opted to order a NZXT replacement that looks like it will fit.

I had a bright idea that I am going to try to implement. My eVGA mobo came with a little ECP. It appears to be about the size of the backplane for the SATA drives. I am only using 3 of the 4 hotswap bays, so I am going to mount my ECP on one of them and hide the cables.

Pics will be INC soon, just taking my time with this beast.

Oh man, and I thought I had a struggle trying to get a radiator/shrouds/fans mounted to the top of this case internally.

Mounting an MCP655 was an even more delightful experience.

Did you consider mounting the MCP 655 on the bottom of the case interior?

I used the idea from the Aquadesian and mounted the pump horizontally in the lower hard drive cage.

Do you have a URL for this site? I couldn't find anything using Google.

I am going to route the tubing through the two grommets and not behind the case though. I also will be mounting my reservoir tonight. Should be another interesting experience. Another suprise was the fan controller I purchased would not fit in the drive bay. I opted to order a NZXT replacement that looks like it will fit.

Which fan controller was it that would not fit in. Ouch! :eek:

I had a bright idea that I am going to try to implement. My eVGA mobo came with a little ECP. It appears to be about the size of the backplane for the SATA drives. I am only using 3 of the 4 hotswap bays, so I am going to mount my ECP on one of them and hide the cables.

Pics will be INC soon, just taking my time with this beast.

Yes, please do post pics, especially with the ECP.

x509

Did you consider mounting the MCP 655 on the bottom of the case interior?

Do you have a URL for this site? I couldn't find anything using Google.

Thats exactly what I had to do. There is really no room elsewhere in the case if your looking for cleanliness. I initially had mounted the pump very similar to the Aquadesian; however I had it mounted to the other side of the hard drive cage. Last night I did a little surgery and removed the left side of the hard drive cage so that I can still mount/bold/attach the pump to the right side.

Here is the link:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=83231

Which fan controller was it that would not fit in. Ouch! :eek:

I initially purchased the Zalman MFC1 6-Fan controller thinking there would be enough room in the case for 6 fans and the radiator (I'm not sure I can link to the egg to show you...I honestly skimmed the ToS for the forum). Ended up purchasing the NZXT controller which looks like it has the mounting structure similar to a 5.25 drive.

Yes, please do post pics, especially with the ECP.

I will get some pictures up when I can. I have honestly been slacking in the pic department. I took some good pics when I got the FB block mounted, the CPU lapped, and the HK mounted, but since have stopped. I will get back into gear with the camera and get them up soon.

I have a good feeling about getting the ECP mounted where one of the SATA backplane boards is. I have to figure out the cable management aspect though since the connector pins are going to be on the inside (in the drive bay compartment).

Anywho, hope that helps.

Thats exactly what I had to do. There is really no room elsewhere in the case if your looking for cleanliness. I initially had mounted the pump very similar to the Aquadesian; however I had it mounted to the other side of the hard drive cage. Last night I did a little surgery and removed the left side of the hard drive cage so that I can still mount/bold/attach the pump to the right side.

Here is the link:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=83231

Thanks for the photo. I'm familiar with that other thread. However ... however, I need to be able to install six hard drives, which means that I can't use the lower drive bay for the fan mounting. I need to be able to mount the pump in the open space below the motherboard.

What do you think?

Thanks,

x509

Archived