Corsair Community

OK, which is right?

subdermis2000

Hello everyone,

I have an HP a6235x and would like to add RAM and possibly upgrade it at the same time. According to HP, on the product page (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01185446&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN) I'm limted to PC2-5300. However, HP says on the mobo spec page (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077676&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en) that the mobo will support PC2-6400. But then again this page also says the max processor is the X2 5600+.

The Corsair RAM selector says to use VS2GB667D2 which is PC2-5300.

Who's right? And would i find any difference between the two? I also plan to change to 64 bit Win7 in the near future from Vista 32 bit.

edit - also, can I install 2GB sticks in slots 1 and 3 and 1GB sticks in slots 2 an 4? Will going from 3 to 6 GB actually make any difference or should I just swap out all the old RAM?

Thanks.

On an HP, running the 5300 vs the 6400 will make no difference. I'd suggest a total of 4GB maximum, ideally 2 x 2GB of the VS2GB667D2. As noted, you won't see the full 4GB due to a 23-bit OS limitation but, you can see up to 3.5GB depending on your hardware.

Thanks for the reply.

More more question though, when I upgrade to 64 bit Win7 I can support up to 8GB. What I was wondering is can I add 4GB of new ram (2x2) and use 2x1GB of my older RAM in a 1-3 2-4 slot configuration or should I just buy 8 GB (4x2) of new RAM. It's not really the cost, it's more about the waste.

If cost is not an issue, I'd suggest getting 4 IDENTICAL modules at the same time to minimize your potential for compatibility issues. You can always keep the others as spares, put them in another system, or sell them.

Thanks. I'll grab 8GB.

Thanks also to Synthohol.

Archived