Corsair Community

hotswap bays

Sneaky

hi,

bought new pc parts, x32ssd, after a month i had pc locing up then ssd not showing in bios, local stockist scan.co.uk checked drive it was dead, they hadnt x32 in stock so coffed upmore pennies and got x64ssd, its then i noticed that the ssd drive does not hang over the bay carrier or stick out as much as my raptor or maxtor had drive, i elongated the holes in the carrier and he presto all dirves working great, that was last week,

today booted pc up all ok, after @15mins web browsing pc froze n locked up, restarted with message as before no boot media detected....o no!

checked bios no ssd no maxtor but raptor visible, so turned off pc, out the ssd drive into bay2 second from top it booted into windows as before hooray, turned off put other two drives in one in top bay other bottom, restarted both not in bios?

iv checked all drives sit home in the connectors and the cables are fully home inside the pc, so removed the little connector boards so cables go directly into drives and now all drives picked up.

is it possible for these board connectors to fail, if so do i post so yuo can test them?

Geoff

I had the same problem with five completely different hard drives, including the Corsair Extreme Series 32GB SSD's that were just delivered today. Additional I have had the same problem with all four of the connector boards. It is the boards because like you if I bypass them everything works fine.

I think I'm going to bust out the Dremel, and cut out everything around the boards. Then put a fan on the cover to suck out the air in there too.

I had the same problem with five completely different hard drives, including the Corsair Extreme Series 32GB SSD's that were just delivered today. Additional I have had the same problem with all four of the connector boards. It is the boards because like you if I bypass them everything works fine.

I think I'm going to bust out the Dremel, and cut out everything around the boards. Then put a fan on the cover to suck out the air in there too.

I've been having problems with the hotswap setup myself. It is flaky and drives come and go as they please and this is with normal HD's. So they are stacked on the floor directly plugged to the SATA port so I don't corrupt another drive.

I'll be checking into an RMA and hopefully won't have to sent the whole case back.

The hotswap air flow setup doesn't work as it should. Little to no air flow get's past the drives and out the case. Two work arounds. 1. Pull the cover off the 140mm fan and you will feel some air flow!. 2. Add a fan to the right side of bay and let it try and suck the air through the hotswap bay's and hopefully past all those wires and out the back.

Both worked for me, I chose to just leave the cover off because it worked best in my situation.

• 3 weeks later...
I had a problem with the top hot swap port, which I was sent a replacement board and sata cable, but last week I had a torrent seeding from the hard drive on the bottom port in the hot swap bay, and I lost the hard drive twice in two days while seeding a torrent and rebooting the drive was not listed in the bios. Disconnecting and reconnecting the drive resolved the problems but once I stopped seeding the torrent from that hard drive it has resolved the issues. From what I can tell if you are accessing the drives frequently there seems to be an issue with the hot swappable bays since I have had issues with two of them on my 800D case.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Getting the same problem here it appears as though my bottom 2 hot swap bays are going belly up

Had all the same symptoms as the op, what occured to me tonight is surely 2 hdd's cant go at the same time too much of a coincidence, I will be moving my 2 lower drives up into the 5 1/4 bays as a temporary measure & see if it cures the problem.

None of my drives are in raid at all so no data loss here, I have filled in a RMA tonight & hopefully will get a reply soon & a new pcb.

The odd thing is though I hardly ever pull the drives in and out, maybe thats why the fault has only just started to happen.

Had the case since september and the trouble started just over a week ago I have been getting slow data transfer rates at times when unzipping files as well.

Cheers

Archived