Corsair Community

Memory fault

Hi, I have tried to RMA some memory with my supplier (Scan.co.uk), as I had a problem with what seemed like one Module, and they have been unable to replicate the fault.

I had a set of 2 x CM2X1024-8500C5D memory modules, which I bought from the same supplier around 2 years ago, they worked fine in both my original mobo (Asus P5W DH DELUXE) and me new mobo (Asus Maximus II Formula).

Before I upgraded the mobo, I thought I'd get 2GB of the same, and I experienced errors booting and then in memtests, I put it down to the mobo, not being able to run at the correct speeds for the memory could, so put it off until I upgraded the mobo.

I build and fix computers for my job, so I have dealt with Memory problems, frequently.

All errors occurred when I set the RAM to run at 1066, rather than auto, where they ran at 800.

The problem occurred only on the new modules, if they were in 2 slots side

by side (in non-dual channel mode) they would give errors during memtest,

the original set I have are fine with exactly the same settings. I also tried increasing the voltages, upto the maximum the memory could take, still generated errors.

Also the errors occurred if I put all 4 modules in.

Both sets were fine alone, if I had them as Dual channel mode.

Also the 2 originals and a certain one of the new sticks works fine, but the other with the 2 originals generated errors (indicating a fault with that module). If I put the 4th in it generates errors.

I bought the exact same model memory to avoid having conflicts, I didn't think they would have been changed, or enough to cause issues.

As i said at the start of the post, upon sending it for testing at the supplier, they replicated no fault, but they gave various excuses to try and make me take them back, even though I tried to explain, that it was one module out of the 2. The last message before I said I was going to contact the manufacturer, was that I'd need to get in contact with another department and pay for testing and shipping back, which I was not prepared to do, for what I know is at least 1 faulty module.

If the response of the supplier seems unreasonable to you, I would like to know if there is a way I can prove to the supplier that this isn't a configuration problem, and there's a definite fault with one module.

Thanks for your time

• Corsair Employees

I am sorry but when mixing memory like that you may not be able to run them at full speed that is not uncommon. And I have posted this to many times to count.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

As I mentioned, and as the returns people at Scan seemed to miss, was that only 1 out of the 2 new modules generated errors, while testing.

Had both of them done it, I would have assumed a problem with some sort of config, and forgive me if I'm out of place, but what the hell is the point of having memory rated at a certain speed, to go in a motherboard "specifically made to overclock", and not be able to run it at the rated speed.

I had run the tests at 800mhz with all 4 modules (with all settings set to auto in BIOS), and memtest was fine, but since I can run 2 of the old modules and the "non-faulty" module at 1066, I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

Forgive me if it sounds rude, getting a message across in text, it isn't easy to tell sometimes :)

• Corsair Employees

If one module is failing when tested alone then yes please submit the RMA request and get that set with the failing module replaced.

And I am sorry but there is no MB on the market that I know of that will support 4 up at DDR1066 and we do not test mixing Twin sets so there is no way to know if it will work at the rated speed other then the way they are sold as One set.

I thoroughly tested all memory.

All passed fine, alone, at both 800 and 1066.

Both sets passed fine in Dual channel mode

Original set passed fine, in non-dual channel mode (side by side)

New set failed in non-dual channel mode

As I posted,

Original set with one of the new modules failed

Original set with the other module passed (and worked fine at 1066)

I assumed from those findings, that one of the new modules was faulty, as is logical in my view.

Why do motherboard Manufacturers claim such things as;

"4 x240-pin DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR2 1200/1066/800/667 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

*Refer to http://www.asus.com or this user manual for the Memory QVL(Qualified Vendors Lidts).

**When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended."

On the mobo I have, spec sheet.

I understand the 32bit problem, and I understand it won't say I've got 4GB.

Do you mean it won't run 4 modules at 1066, or 4GB at 1066?

I still have the problem of one of my memory modules being faulty.

Not being able to run all of them, is something I'm willing to live with, having a faulty module isn't.

Scan want me to send them money for their testing, and for them to ship it back to me, and since the amount they ask for is half the price of the memory, that's not something I'm interested in doing. I know this isn't really anything to do with you, but since I found a definite fault with 1 of the new modules, what would you suggest I say to them to get them to replace the unit.

I don't really think they have tested the memory in the conditions I explained to them, but can't prove it.

Even with the memory back it'd be hard to prove without actually having someone from their company to verify it in person, which isn't going to happen

Archived