Corsair Community

CM2X2048-6400C4DHX – possibly bad, RMA?

checkmate

I appear to be having grief with a set/pair of CM2X2048-6400C4DHX (v2.1) under Windows 7 Pro x64 – I was getting numerous BSODs referencing ntoskrnl.exe, ntfs.sys and, occasionally, fltmgr.sys and the ATI driver (the name of which I forget). I was also getting endless “The display driver has stopped responding and has restarted” warning pop ups and games were effectively entirely unplayable. I’ve spoken to AMD/ATI and they seem to suggest their driver errors are caused by something else and have gone through many iterations of install and uninstall + cleaning of both Catalyst 9.10 and 9.11.

I’ve even tried both MS and Intel drivers for the ICH10R controller. No change. I perhaps should also point out the BSODs seemed to be random – it didn’t matter if it was ‘full load’ in Left 4 Dead 2 (demo), merely browsing the net with IE8 or editing photos in Paint Shop Pro X2. The damn thing even threw a wobbly transferring some photos from one drive to another. Following plenty of Google-inspired research, I was leaning towards RAM issues.

Given the RAM is specced for 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V, I’ve also tried the automatic XMP Profile (which does appear to set things correctly) and 5-5-5-18 at 2.1V and also tweaked the MCH voltage up a little (1.1V to 1.2V) and the problems persist. I’ve run MemTest86+ for 12-13hrs and it reported zero errors. However, even following the test, the BSODs kept coming.

I can’t update the motherboard BIOS as it is at the latest revision (F9) and there is (nor has there been any) no overclocking. Everything is stock (or set to what it’s supposed to be set to in the case of the RAM).

My latest test has been to replace the troublesome pair with a pair of sticks from a [known good] TWIN2X2048-6400C4 set (at 5-5-5-18, 2.1V) – this appears to have fixed the gremlins. No BSODs, no ATI driver resets and games played absolutely fine last night.

IMO, I clearly have a dodgy set (or, I dare say, one of the pair) of RAM so, well, what happens now (I’m in the UK if that changes anything)?

The only thing that bothers me is that, IMO, something is clearly amiss with the RAM but it passes 12-13hrs of Memtest… if they were returned, I could imagine someone saying they were OK… when I don’t believe this is the case. Again, with Google, I’ve found various tidbits of information that suggest a Memtest pass doesn’t necessarily prove anything but, well, I’m sure you can imagine my angst.

• 2 weeks later...

You'll like this... new replacement set exhibits identical problems.

Whilst waiting for the RMA I went back to the TWIN2X2048-6400C4 sticks and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. Within minutes of installing the replacement DHX sticks, I'm back to square one (and that's at 5-5-5-18, 2.1V).

I do concede that a replacement set not working seems to suggest a, for instance, motherboard issue but it's absolutely rock solid with the older, non-DHX stuff so I don't believe this is the case.

Is it possible the chipset (P45) doesn't, for whatever reason, like the ICs on the DHX sticks? Looking at the link on the LH side it says they're PSC... who? I don't want to send them back only to get another 'duff' set so any ideas what the options are now?

Done. Still doesn't work.

Have tried both a) allowing the SPD to set it at 4-4-4-12 (with 2.1V manually set) and b) also manually setting 4-4-4-12 (again, @ 2.1V). Tried both a) and b) after loading fail-safe defaults and loading optimised defaults.

Swapping the DHX sticks out for the old 'normal' XMS2 sticks solves the problem (in the same slots and same timings and voltage) which suggests, at least in my eyes, it's not some other gremlin at work.

I'm all out of ideas now apart from one.

If I were to RMA them, again, is it possible to have them replaced by a different type that maybe avoids PSC? I don't mean switch them for something further up the range like Dominator GTs but as long as I end up with 4GB of RAM that works at 800MHz, I don't care about CL4 or CL5 or if it is or isn't a DHX part. Just a thought.

• Corsair Employees
Please contact our customer service and let them know your previous RMA # and that you spoke to us in Tech Support and you want to get them replaced again, and I am sorry there is no way to specify a version of the modules.

Archived