Corsair Community

Can't run 1066!

sandeepb

Hi,

Very recently I've been having issues running 1066, I booted windows, got to the the desktop and suddenly a black screen after 30 seconds.

Brought everything back to stock, fiddled about a lot and it came down to the memory.

If I run it at 800 4-3-4-12 it works perfectly fine and my OS is usable. When I put it back to 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v , Windows just crashes on me.

Can I get any support on this please.

Thanks.

OK I reached another black screen, tested the RAM at 2.1v 800 4-4-4-12 and had memtest errors the moment the test started.

Hit the voltage to 2.12v and now everythings ok, but I will be issuing an RMA with my retailer.

btw I saw the Dominator GT 1066 Sticks, how do these perform?

OK I reached another black screen, tested the RAM at 2.1v 800 4-4-4-12 and had memtest errors the moment the test started.

Hit the voltage to 2.12v and now everythings ok, but I will be issuing an RMA with my retailer.

btw I saw the Dominator GT 1066 Sticks, how do these perform?

Did you disable Legacy USB Support?

Legacy USB Support was disabled but then I needed it back for my keyboard to be controlled, well I had sent the RAM for RMA and it returned faulty and had received a replacement.

Installed the replacement kit version 2.1 in and booted, ran memtest on default settings, 1067Mhz 5-5-5-15-22 2.1v and memtest errors again?

My 3rd Corsair kit that's gone faulty.

And BTW I have tried it in another system to double check.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Legacy USB support is not causing any issues with Windows or with the memory. It simply conflicts with Memtest. Your modules are passing Memtest which means you do not have a failed or defective module. At this time, quite a few AMD CPUs simply will not run memory at 1066.

Try these settings and see what happens:

Clear CMOS

Set timings manually to 4-4-4-12, 2T command rate

Set memory voltage to 2.1v

DDR800

That's what I have been running since it's stable at that.

Weird since I've been running 1066 on this board for over a year without problems.

Some CPUs will and some won't. However, if you were stable and now are not, you may simply be seeing a bit of a decline on the memory controller which is possible since you are OCing it.

We can replace the modules if you like but I don't think that will change anything in this case.

In my opinion, there's not enough clear evidence to say if it is the board, the CPU, the RAM, the BIOS, etc etc. If you are not OCing the CPU or if running a 800 is not holding you back from a faster overclock, you may simply want to live with it unless you dont' mind RMAing different parts until you find the culprit.

Another option is to find another system to test your parts with. That would save time and shipping/RMA headaches. It's your decision of course.

Yeah I guess your right. I'll test the ram in another system tomorrow and see if it that. The CPU is out the question to rma. I guess I could sell it. And get a 965 c3. But then again it could be the mobo. If I put it in another system how can I determine whether my mobo or CPU is the problem?

That's what I was thinking, I have tested the kit in a different system and returned back with errors.

I guess another RMA is needed, my backup OCZ stick works fine at 1066, if the next kit does come back faulty then I guess I'll try a different brand.

Archived