Corsair Community

P128 Question

Sonny01

I want to buy a P128 as soon Newegg is resupplied and I have a question about cloning data to it. The system that gets the drive has Vista on it but I'm going to use 7 with the SSD...should I clone Vista to the SSD and then upgrade to 7 or upgrade to 7 now and then move the data to the SSD?

Thanks,

Sonny01

Win7 does come with the ability to recognize SSD and change some settings to better optimize it. From what I understand of it, you have to update the Windows Experience Index for it to make those changes. When I've done my installs, this was what it took to disable defrag, etc.

Either way you should be fine.

I take it you're going to be installing Windoze 7 (32bit version). If you are installing 64 bit then I believe you need to do a clean install (I could be wrong).

As for if you should install Windoze 7 first or just upgrade over Vista... My advice is to perfrom a clean install if possible and use Windows Easy Transfer (believe it or not, this one works):

1. Use the Windows Easy Transfer on your Vista Drive to create a file for transferring your data.

2. Load Windoze 7 on your SSD.

3. Load all your applications on the SSD.

4. Load your data files using Windows Easy Transfer.

You are likely to get different opinions but the choice really is yours. I've also never heard that the SSD features related to Windoze 7 need you to perform something to make them work if you add the SSD after the fact.

One thing you should avoid is activating your software right away. Hold off a week or two until you know you're done messing with your system. This will cause you less hate towards Bill and his buddies as it should prevent you from calling to activate your product again.

-Joe

Thanks guys for your input...I have a 7 upgrade disc so I can't do a clean install. I think I'll clone Vista to the disc when then go from there. I'm basing that on the the fact that 7 will recognize a SSD drive...it will probably work either way but by doing it that way is my best chance for success.

Sonny01

Thanks guys for your input...I have a 7 upgrade disc so I can't do a clean install. I think I'll clone Vista to the disc when then go from there. I'm basing that on the the fact that 7 will recognize a SSD drive...it will probably work either way but by doing it that way is my best chance for success.

Sonny01

The UPGRADE disc is only in reference to the fact you own a previous version, which is different from the Vista upgrade disc where to do a clean install you had to trick the system. You can do a clean install, and in certain situation must do a clean install.

Archived