Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9 and Asus P5QC

MrMojoRisin

Hi Folks,

Having some problems getting my pc to post reliably. I think I may have bought the wrong ram.

Have installed TW3x4G1333C9 modules and after I reboot the system it wont post/no beeps, blank screen.

If I remove the ram and then refit, it will post again until i reboot...

System works well with my old ram from my last build TWIN2X2048-6400

Trouble is the P5QC doesnt seem to be listed in the memory search tool on the site.

Ive installed all the latest drivers and Bios from the Asus website, havent tried adjusting voltages for the ram yet..

Any suggestions?

Yeah I've reset the BIOS by moving the jumper and removing the battery.

I've even tried a brand new battery just on the off chance the installed one was a dud. Im currently running default BIOS settings and its the most recent version supplied by Asus from their site.

When I put this pc together it booted first time.. Everything seemed normal. So I went ahead and installed Vista 64bit premium home edition. Then just over a day later the system hung and when I rebooted it failed to post. No beep codes.

I tried the usual, removing the mobo and checked it wasnt fouling the case.

I then looked at booting with just the bare minimum installed no HDD or DVD drives.

When I turn on with out ram I get the expected 2 short 1 long beep code indicating no ram installed.. Also get the correct beeps when I try without graphics card. Ive tried the ram modules one at a time, both work. At first I thought that was that job done, till I shut down that is.

After a bit of trial and error Ive found that the pc will boot if i remove and then refit the ram. And will work till I shut the pc down. It is liable to hang but not with any degree of regularity so that I can put my finger on one thing and say its because of this.

From a cold reboot I get no beeps and the monitor stays on standby, all the fans spin etc. and stays like this till I once again remove the ram and refit

currently the pc is running perfectly well with TWIN2X2048-6400 ram from my old ( now my daughters new )pc. Reboots fine just the way it should be.

Like I said in my previous post, my exact model of mobo is not listed in the Corsair memory finder tool..I intended on buying ******** ram (my mobo is listed on their memory finder tool) but when i went to the store they were sold out. And being rather impatient I bought the Corsair ram instead. I think thats where the fault is, it would seem to be incompatible with my mobo.

I was rather hoping that a simple voltage tweak would fix this issue, but I dont want to go blundering about. The TWIN2X2048-6400 I've been using has been faultless and thats been overclocked to 1000mhz for a few years now in my previous pc, so I've got nothing but praise for Corsair. The fault is all mine.:[pouts:

I had a similar problem...my pc wouldnt boot if I set manually the ram timings.So Set ram fsb to 333,then from below choose a speed lower than 1333,then above that set 333 again to auto.Set ram voltage to what the sticker on it says (or add 0.3v).Raise NB voltage.Or finally try different ram slots to see if it is the same (try the black ones or yellow)

I had a similar problem...my pc wouldnt boot if I set manually the ram timings.So Set ram fsb to 333,then from below choose a speed lower than 1333,then above that set 333 again to auto.Set ram voltage to what the sticker on it says (or add 0.3v).Raise NB voltage.Or finally try different ram slots to see if it is the same (try the black ones or yellow)

The OP is unable to do this with the DDR3 memory because he cannot get to the BIOS.

MrMojoRisin, can your vendor or a friend test the DDR3 in another system for you?

I can get to the bios for a while its just that in the past when I shut down and restart it fails to post again.

The FSB is already set at 333, is this maybe a default setting as I have adjusted nothing in BIOS.

I am little confused as to your advice about "So Set ram fsb to 333,then from below choose a speed lower than 1333,then above that set 333 again to auto"

I have manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.50v which is what is printed on the sticker.

As for trying different slots for the ram, this is impossible as they are dedicated DDR2 slots so are notched differently.

Im now going to memtest each stick of ram 1 at a time in both available slots. I'll post back as soon as I have the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, in getting my results back been real busy lately..

Anyway.. I tested both sticks of ram one at a time and found that if i put any ram in the slot furthest from the cpu then the sytem just wouldnt start. Ive since returned that motherboard, I think that points to a faulty slot eh? Both sticks gave 100% return in the other slot.

I've just bought a Foxconn Blackops board as a replacement. gonna install that this weekend using the same ram.. Thanks for your help jjokeris. Fingers crossed this time..

Sorry for the delay, in getting my results back been real busy lately..

Anyway.. I tested both sticks of ram one at a time and found that if i put any ram in the slot furthest from the cpu then the sytem just wouldnt start. Ive since returned that motherboard, I think that points to a faulty slot eh? Both sticks gave 100% return in the other slot.

I've just bought a Foxconn Blackops board as a replacement. gonna install that this weekend using the same ram.. Thanks for your help jjokeris. Fingers crossed this time..

Good news I hope, let us know how it goes.

Also, off topic, you a Doors/Morrison fan? Headed to Africa soon ;):

Lol, Yeah Doors fan, If you see Jim send him my regards. Although I do honestly think hes asleep in Paris.

Still having issues with this ram tho..

In the new Blackops board Ive memtested each stick individually in all the slots. Two passes each and 100% each time.. But when I put both sticks in I get no joy (pc reboots after 10 secs of test) on either Single or Dual channel configurations.

Everything is stock settings or Optimized default settings.

Seems stable enough with only one 2gb stick plugged in.

I dont know enough to go changing settings willy Nilly, any advice on what to try would be great guys.

Just an update.

Think Ive finally found the cause of my woes.

Been running this pc with only one stick of ram in it for the past 2 days with no issues what so ever and decided to try the other stick on its own in the same slot.

Within 20 mins the pc shut down and would not reboot. error 54 on the debug LED. Looks like a faulty ram module all along.

Im back to the original ram module now and all is well again.

Really strange that I have been able to memtest the "faulty" module and it passes..never had an intermitant fault with a pc componant before, generally they work or they dont for me.

Everyday is a school day.

Archived