Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C9 kit comes with two different models (CM3X2G1600C9 and CM3X2G1800C7GT)

ruifig

Hi

The TR3X6G1600C9 kit that came with my new PC (bought the full system about 1.5 months ago) shows up in CPU-Z as having 2 different models of RAM

2 slots show up as CM3X2G1600C9 and 1 shows up as CM3X2G1800C7GT.

I've already opened the case and visually checked if they're the right kit, and indeed they are. Those number printed on them are even sequential.

I'm running with no problems at 1080mhz, but despite several attempts to run at 1600mhz, I never got it stable. I've tried manually entering the timings, tried XMP, tweaking voltages, tried disabling CPU overclocking, but nothing works. Sometimes it boots but eventually freezes/reboots.

I never gave it much though because I was thinking in buying another of those kits to have a 12gb total, so I was postponing the problem.

Yesterday I got the new kit (also a TR3X6G1600C9 ), took the other one off, simply set the bios to use XMP, and worked first try at 1600. Stressed it a bit with Prime95 and no problems. As soon as I installed the other kit, had to revert to 1080mhz to get it stable again. Been running with the full 12gb, but at 1080 mhz :(

Any ideas? How is it possible that the kit has 2 different models?

I bought the system from OcUK, but I think I can't send the kit back, since its over 28 days already.

Apparently it seems I'm not the only one with this problem. Just found a post from another customer with the same problem.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=15145584

Thanks

Sounds like they screwed up putting in the SPD on one stick. RMA it using the link on the left. Talk to OCUK first, as since it never performed to spec in the first place (which has nothing to do with the SPD being incorrect since you set the specs manually), they may make an exception in their warranty process. FYI Corsair's closest RMA depot is in NL.

BTW, at any point during the troubleshooting process did you run memtest86+ v4.0?

I haven't tried running memtest86+ yet, mainly because of the trouble of getting a bootable USB. :)

Running at 1080 seems rock solid. Can't remember any freezing/rebooting.

I'll contact the reseller first and see if I get a RMA number.

Thanks

Rui

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update...

I've sent the Kit back to the reseller, and guess what... They say it's ok.

They say:

"Passes memtest86+ 4.0 for a minimum of 10 passes at the correct timings and voltages (rated speed)."

Is that possible? :/ The SPDs don't match, so maybe my motherboard has problems coping with memory running at 1600mhz but with different SPDs?

Anyway, if the SPDs don't match I would say they should replace the kit, since that would probably cause problems for most customers, but instead they're sending it back and charging me 10£ for it. That makes it a ~25£ lost already, since I had to pay to send it too. Not happy... not happy at all.

I tried manual settings and auto settings with my motherboard, and couldn't run at 1600mhz.

Any idea of what should I do?

Thanks

Rui

Archived