Corsair Community

problem with CMD4GX2M2A1066C5

howard849

I can't seem to get this ram past 400mhz ( AMD overdrive utility reports it as 400 mhz and I only use it for the report, I don't intend to overclock this machine ) and would be satisfied with 800 and 1066 would be great if it'll do it. All the parts are new and the BIOES are the latest version from Biostar. The mem is listed as ddr2 800 and I bumped the voltage to 2.1v but it runs at 400 and returns a 5.9 on the win speed test. A second older machine runs the same amount of ddr2 800 (4 gig ) and same OS ( win 7 64 bit ) with a speed score of 7.1

What need I do?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Howard

Thank you trying to help me out, I do appreciate it.

I downloaded that program and it reports the ram as DDR2 6400 (800mhz) voltage 2.1v and the timings as 5-5-5-18 with no overclocking.

When I manually overclock to DDR2 800 and force the voltage to 2.1v there is no change to the timings and it runs the same as it did before.

When I overclock the ram to 1066, leave the voltage at 2.1v the main board changes the timings ( left on AUTO) and CPU-Z reports the ram the same except the timings are 5-7-7-24 AND the system seems to run noticeably faster.

I'd prefer to not overclock this machine and I have no experience overclocking a computer but it seems faster for it.

Since I'm new to this type of tweaking... what do you make of all this?

Howard

I tried that and the re-boot reports a CMOS Check-sum error. CPU-Z reports the same thing no matter what I change provided it boots OK. It says the DDR2 voltage is 2.1 even though the BIOES at start up reports 1.76v.

Most disconcerting for me is Windows reports the memory speed at 5.9 and my other computer that's 2 years old with 4 sticks of 1 gig DDR2 800 reports the speed as 7.1 with the same OS and a lower clock speed dual core CPU.

The only other difference is the older computer has a dedicated video card, a Radeon 3870 and this new one has integrated video on the MB with 128 meg side ram.

Would/could that cause a ram speed report difference?

Am I wrong here and everything is working up to speed?

Thanks for not bailing on me, I hope you don't anyway. I'm lost on this one.

Howard

The Windows Experience Index is NOT the memory speed. It's a proprietary system that they can change at any time. Ignore it.

Also, where are you reading the DDR2 voltage in CPU-Z? Not the SPD tab I hope. What version of CPU-Z do you have?

Wired and Ram Guy,

Thank you for sticking with me on this but late last night I downloaded and ran MemTest86 Version 4 and let it run the rest of the night. It found no problems and with the system ram left in the default mode with no O/C it was reported as DDR2 800. That is exactly the speed I was hoping for as the 1066 isn't important for this machine at all.

I'm a happy camper here and will pose no further questions.

Thank you again for the help.

Howard

Archived