Corsair Community

it's memory fault or motherboard buggy?

afer

Hi!

I've the following nasty problem:

I tried many time to install different Linux 64 bit flavours, Kubuntu and OpenSuse, but after some tens minuts the process freezes and the PC too, I have to push the power button to restart it.

The memory should be fit for the mobo because Corsair on its website says so, also if the Corsair one could work with CAS 4-4-4-12 and at 2,1 V, instead the requirements for the DIMMs for such mobo and its configuration also read by memtest are CAS 5-5-5-18 1,8 V.

I launched memtest 4.0 that you can find with OpenSuse and after few minutes it reported some thousands errors in test3 (Moving inversion 8 bit pattern) starting about from 1800 MB where the pattern dfdfdfdf become dfdfdfdb (errbit 4). But If I test each memory stick in each memory slot I don't get errors. There are errors only when the memories work together in dual channell.

Now either mb, either RAM are new and I've the right to the warranty, but which one is the broken one and why? (I don't have other mb or other DIMMs to check).

The worst thing is that sometimes also the test with the two DIMMs in dual channell doesn't give errors (the same test with the same DIMMs in the same slots)

What can I do?

Best regards to all and thanks to replying people,

Andrea

First, that's not a Gateway motherboard, it's a Gigabyte motherboard. Is that what you meant?

Also, Corsair's Compatibility website doesn't list that website, but they do list:

Guaranteed-Compatible Memory for your Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L

Is that the motherboard you have?

If you have not manually set the speed / timings / voltage in the BIOS then they will be by default set to 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8v. That is probably why it's showing up in Memtest86+ v4.0.

Set the correct timings / voltage and re-test.

Sorry. You're right, it's not a Gateway, is a Gigabyte motherboard and it's correctly the GA-G31M-ESL2 rev 1, bios F8 (If I can I'll correct in my profile).

In my BIOS, so far as I've seen, I can't set timing (CAS) only voltage, but also if I set it to 2.1, memtest read CAS values 5-5-5-18. Now I'll go to check again. Then if Corsair says that my Corsair DIMMs are fit for such mobo, they should be.

I made some other tests and I've seen that if I check with memtest the 2 DIMMs in dual channel and I swap them I get slightly different error addresses and that I can get no errors when the PC and the memories are cold.

I've also catched memory errors with memtest on a DIMM alone and then repeating the same test (Linux install, then memtest) on the other DIMM (same slot) I didn'g get errors, but repeating yet a time the test on the first DIMM that gave errors in the same way (install linux and then memtest) I didn't get errors, so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks and regards

Repeating many times the cheks with memtest I've found than I can get almost always errors on a DIMM. So the problem should be this one.

Now I had bad surprises, it is, I asked the seller for replacement and he wonted me to pay for the sending back of the DIMMs.

That's unfair because we agreed for a price, that I payed, for such DIMMs, then they came faulty and I had also to make days of tests to be sure of that, and then I'll have to pay also more to get what I've right to get at the first stated and already payed price?

So I tried to open an RMA directly with Corsair, but the song is the same.

They not only give away broken DIMMs as they were working, but then they wont I pay more than stated by contract to get them.

I find such thing almost a robbery and not only unfair but also illegal and I'll fill a lawsuite against the vendor (a big Italian consumer association - Altroconsumo - to which I belong will back me on that) and I'll never buy any more Corsair memory and tell to everyone to do the same.

Best regards,

There is difference if I buy at a store and if I buy on line or by mail. In the first case I've got the goods in the store and I take back it at the store.

Then at least in Italy there is a law about consumer and warranty that states that if the vendor sells me a goods not compliant, not fit for its end, then he has to replace or repair it at its expense and in such case, if the seller doesn't come to my home to do that I have to send the goods and so the sending fees are indispensable for the warranty and then part of it.

And I've seen on Corsair site that they can also come to get its faulty goods for substitution and repair.

At the and of the end I can't see what's wrong with the reasoning about unfairness of paying a good more than stated by initial contract if the consumer have to pay the sending back fees. Why has the consumer to pay more for an error of producer/seller?

The difference in this case is that Corsair did not sell the memory to you. Your vendor did. Therefore, it is not reasonable for us to pay for the shipping to or from you.

We'll gladly replace the memory if wish to deal with us directly. But, there is no need to refer to us as robbers as this is not true at all.

The store metaphor doesn't work because you're still delivering the part back to the store.

As for your country's laws, I agree that your local vendor should of course abide by them. However, you said VENDOR. Corsair's not the vendor but the manufacturer. Does the same law (or a similar law) apply to them?

Also, I've never seen anything on Corsair's website (or anywhere else for that matter) saying "that they can also come to get its faulty goods for substitution and repair". Do you have a link to substantiate this?

In my opinion, this policy throughout the industry is fair, as you pay the shipping cost to them and they pay for it on the way back. Neither side wins.

Back to the issue on hand, memory generally either works or it doesn't. Intermittent errors is odd. I'm more wondering if it's the motherboard's memory controller (or a bad cap on the motherboard). If it was my rig I'd try to test the memory on another system and/or other memory on this system, just to be thorough.

The difference in this case is that Corsair did not sell the memory to you. Your vendor did. Therefore, it is not reasonable for us to pay for the shipping to or from you.

That's true, but should also be true that you had to pay the send back fees from the seller to you of new sold not working items, and I heard that you don't do that ... so the seller with me.

We'll gladly replace the memory if wish to deal with us directly. But, there is no need to refer to us as robbers as this is not true at all.

For sure the term is not correct and sorry for that, I was a bit flamed and at the end for me it's not your commercial fault, because who sold me the memories was the vendor not you, but maybe you have a more substantial fault, it is, you made the not working DIMMs and/or docs about them and my motherboard.

The store metaphor doesn't work because you're still delivering the part back to the store.

If a new car brokes and doesn't walk anymore; it's the seller who comes to take it for repair and I don't pay for that (at least here, I don't know how it's where you live).

As for your country's laws, I agree that your local vendor should of course abide by them. However, you said VENDOR. Corsair's not the vendor but the manufacturer. Does the same law (or a similar law) apply to them?

I don't think so (if I don't buy directely from Corsair), because I think it could be a law for end consumers and the agreements from the seller and Corsair could in some ways differ (I think it's similar, but not exactely the same).

Anyway wasn't the vendor to make and test the bad memory, neither to write that they was perfectly fit for my motherboard.

Also, I've never seen anything on Corsair's website (or anywhere else for that matter) saying "that they can also come to get its faulty goods for substitution and repair". Do you have a link to substantiate this?

Maybe I didn't understood well, but the path on site to open a ticket for a technical trouble could bring to open an RMA, where I saw that - at least in the form , I don't know if also in the reality - the pick up of faulty goods was provided by a ground courier (if you have different corporation agreements also by other means) sent by Corsair.

In my opinion, this policy throughout the industry is fair, as you pay the shipping cost to them and they pay for it on the way back. Neither side wins.

In my opinion is fair as a lottery or as a meteorite that catches you on the head; it is, if you are lucky, all works well and you're getting your new goods fast and working, if you're unlucky you're getting your new goods late and paying it more than you agreed and expect. A fair thing will be, after some statistics, that the vendor/seller had included in the price also the shipment back of faulty goods, else the consumer thinks that the good has a price and then he has to pay more if it's unlucky; that's unfair advertising and unfair at all.

Anyway, I repeat, the goods that doesn't work is my fault? Is it a production of mine? Who made it? Why do I have to pay it more than I've agreed when I bought it?

Back to the issue on hand, memory generally either works or it doesn't. Intermittent errors is odd. I'm more wondering if it's the motherboard's memory controller (or a bad cap on the motherboard). If it was my rig I'd try to test the memory on another system and/or other memory on this system, just to be thorough.

Me too, I've thought so, but I hadn't another motherboard or other memory to test. The motherboard looks well (it doesn't have bad cap) and with the single good Corsair DIMM it works without trouble. So, maybe the mobo could be _also_ guilty (different and not configurable CAS than the memory) but the fault also in such case could be on Corsair because it says that such memory is really fit for such motherboard and if I hadn't read that I hadn't bought it (sorry in advance for the bad English, but I can write hipotetical sentences with difficulties in Italian, so in English should be a disaster).

• 1 month later...

Archived