Corsair Community

2 kits of CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 in MSI 790FX-GD70

Gixbit

Allow me to elaborate as I'm being really slack about this so I'm going to put some heart into it now...

QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 955, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)

MSI 790FX-GD70 (MS-7577) [bIOS 1.6]

DIMM1: F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ (2GB) DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM 9-9-9-24 (1.5v - 1.6v)

DIMM2: F3-12800CL9-2GBNQ (2GB) DDR3-1600 DDR3 SDRAM 9-9-9-24 (1.5v - 1.6v)

ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2

WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1 ATA Device (931 GB, IDE) [2 of these]

WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2 ATA Device (596 GB, IDE) [1 of these]

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk452/ZeixLite/PC1/CIMG9436.jpg

(As an interesting note the fans are actually moving while I took this picture)

So, basically, I started browsing it up at tomshardware, me and some guy were talking and I noticed he had a similar build with some corsair memory... Which happened to be the CMD4GX3M2B1600C8, now I get the difference between A and B is $50 or so but, has a BE Memory Profile. Not really interested in spending that much money on that kind of thing...

When I say similar build we have the same motherboard and well the cpu is 945 and mine is 955be. I want to do some overclocking tests with him and I was interested in buying his ram anyway so I figured I'd check the prices on the other stuff I wanted to get.

I'm getting sick of the ram and it feels really cheap... bargain bin cheap. And the tech support is a joke seriously.

A few things I want are:

APC BACK-UPS RS 1500VA 865W UPS 8 Outlet 340J LCD Display RJ-45 Protection

Corsair XMS3 Dominator 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL 8-8-8-24 Core i5 i7 Dual Channel Memory Kit (2 sets of those)

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 LGA775/1156/1366 AM2/AM3 I7/I5/PHENOM Heatpipe Cooler W/ 2XNH-P12 120MM Fans

Noctua NF-P14FLX 140MM Ultra Quiet Cooling Fan 750-1200RPM 71-110M3/H 10.1-19.6DBA Molex (2 of these)

So, I'm going over board on this because money means a lot to me and even if I have to RMA It would be extra nice if anyone can give some tips or tell me what it is thats going on with ram these days as the last system I actually used up until last year was a Pentium 4 with PC3200 in it so.

I get that there might be a previous post here with stuff Im looking for but, I only read the stickies and it didn't do it for me.

• 2 weeks later...
The new 965 be (step 3) CPUs have better memory controllers, and that will help running four sticks of ram. They also OC to 3.7 easy. I have seen MSI and others telling customers to go 1.65v to 1.85v on the ram. Which seems kinda hi. Do you have the 1.7 BIOS?

I don't know if I want to buy a 965BE. But, The reason it can handle the ram is probably because its stock clocked faster... Possibly. Which is why I posted. And why am I not surprised MSI has released yet another Bios update for this board. Hahaha... I dunno about 1.85v on the ram. Why would you need to volt the ram so high. I could see needing to volt the CPU-NB or the CPU and raise the multipliers. Which is also why I made this post. Not to see compatibility of ram since no matter what I do nothing is Guaranteed by anything. I just wanted to hear from someone here about how to make this work if its even possible. And I posted detailed specs to make sure if anyone has seen this configuration not work they could step forward and mention it.

In other words I guess my Question is... Is this worth my time to attempt 8gigs? and is it possible that I could get it to work at 1333mhz and CL7. Because if I have to sacrifice ram speed I want the timings to be tight. I would rather stay away from 1066. Keep in mind I do very little overclocking. Even if it WORKS I wouldn't mind keeping the over set on the sidelines if I need a lot a ram I can put it in whenever. Only problem is my video card is half big. Regardless, Money is not an issue for this set of ram. Its more about the performance gains for me. So even if it works with both sets in at 1333mhz and 7-7-7-2? timings thats fine with me. Keep in mind that I already know this ram works in this mobo with just one pair. Ive talked to a guy who has it, And I have working ram already so I can tweak it to work with this stuff.

Archived