Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X1024-8500C5D - differing voltage

Maverick3489

I have been using 2GB memory (2.2V version 1.3) without issue since January 2008. Recently however I upgraded from Xp to Windows 7 and decided to purchase two more 1GB modules. On inserting them into their slots and restarting the PC - Windows now refuses to load. I'm assuming that this is because the new modules despite having the same model number operate 2.1V and version 4.3. The Bios seems to recognise them fine on bootup (i.e. 4096)

Can anyone please advise on my best course of action?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid i am no expert with regards to memory and I see that Corsair have at least 3 versions of their Corsair 4GB, DDR2, XMS2-8500, 2x240 DIMM

1. TWIN2X4096-8500C5 (£88.45)

2. TWIN2X4096-8500C5C (£79.90)

3. TWIN2X4096-8500C5D (£99.98

All seem to operate at latencies of 5-5-5-15 and all have different costs associated though I appreciate that these vary based on the individual retailer.

Can anyone please advise me on which is actually the best value for money?

MTIA

I am guessing you would like to do some troubleshooting before you ship them off for an RMA. They may work together and save you the time and trouble. Try this:

Clear CMOS

Add 1 set of matched modules

Set timings and voltage, manually to 2.2v, 5-5-5-15 and 2T (aka 2N) command rate if your board allows it

Manually set memory controller voltage to 1.35v - 1.4v

Save, exit, power off, install 2nd set of modules

Test for stability.

If this fails, disable Legacy USB support in the BIOS and test each module individually with Memtest 4.0 from http://www.memtest.org

Thanks Yellowbeard,

I appreciate the advice, and i'd appreciate your thoughts on some advice I got from a friend;

The different versions you now have are incompatible with each other – voltage is the key, you cannot have two different voltages; if the auto settings keep the voltage at the higher level it will/may fry the new memory and damage the motherboard in the process. If it drops to accommodate the lower voltage, it won’t have enough to work the old ones.

I'm thinking of just returning the new 2.1v memory as i'm very much a novice and don't wish to damage anything.

I have seen 4GB of memory at a decent price and thinking of just buying this. My old memory runs at 2.2v and the new 4GB worth of memory runs at 2.1v. If I install it do I have to change the Bios to support the lower voltage requirements? Or is this done automatically?

You'll need to make any voltage changes manually. And, in this case you have 2 potential options but you'll need to test for yourself.

Both pairs may run at 2.1v which is safe.

Both pairs may also run at 2.2v which is also safe and will not damage the kit rated at 2.2v.

I am guessing you would like to do some troubleshooting before you ship them off for an RMA. They may work together and save you the time and trouble. Try this:

Clear CMOS

Add 1 set of matched modules

Set timings and voltage, manually to 2.2v, 5-5-5-15 and 2T (aka 2N) command rate if your board allows it

Manually set memory controller voltage to 1.35v - 1.4v

Save, exit, power off, install 2nd set of modules

Test for stability.

If this fails, disable Legacy USB support in the BIOS and test each module individually with Memtest 4.0 from http://www.memtest.org

I looked into the bios for my P5K mb this weekend but couldnt see any way of setting either the voltage and timings to 2.2v, 5-5-5-16. Can you please help? Is it possibly because I didnt clear CMOS?

Also what is the difference in setting the voltage to say 2.1v and setting the memory controller voltage to 1.35v - 1.4v?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Under the ADVANCED tab, you need to select the MANUAL option. Then, you can make changes to the both the memory voltage and to the memory controller voltage. Also, you may want to familiarize yourself with the section of your manual that details how and where to make these BIOS changes.

Archived