Corsair Community

Can I Reach 12gigs RAM with TR3X6G1600C8D ?

zonkerman

Hello.

I am putting a new workstation \ game system together which has to have 12 gigs of stable ram. If I use TR3X6G1600C8D memory will I be able to run 12 gigs of this at 1600 speed stable for many hours (i.e. over 24 hours for massive 3d renders).

Also, is this going to be as simple as just inserting 2 six gig kits or am I going to have to do some tweaking to get the ram to run at 1600?

Somewhere in this forum I thought I saw a mention that 12 gigs running at 1600 or more may be too much for the cpu memory controller so I began to wonder about this.

I guess what I really need to know is whether I really need to get slower ram like 1066 if I must have 12 gigs of ram running stable for many hours. The 12 gigs are needed while building 3d scenes. It is also needed because I will be using VMWare with multiple VM sessions each having 2 gigs of ram allocated.:bigeyes:

Hello.

I've noticed on the Corsair website that there is one kit sold as a 12GB kit with part number HX3X12G1600C9 on this page:

http://www.corsair.com/products/corei7/default.aspx

My online supplier does not carry this part but does carry a 6GB kit with the same speed and latency as part number TR3X6G1600C9.

If I buy 2 TR3X6G1600C9 kits to install for 12GB on an ASUS Rampage II Extreme (with i7 975) will this be the same as if I had used the HX3X12G1600C9 part number?

Or is there something different in the HX3X12G1600C9 that makes it work as 12GB that is not found in the TR3X6G1600C9 (different memory profiles maybe?)?

the problem with that is the 2 kits were not tested together as a complete 12G set installed on a testbed system whereas the 12G kit is hand tested to ensure them running together at advertised speeds.

its not that they wont work together, it is just Corsair cannot predict their combined results so support is very limited when doing such.

if you dont mind dropping the frequency to 1333 or even 1066 and playing with some voltages in the BIOS you may get it to work with the combined sets otherwise it is strongly recommended here that you purchase your chosen capacity as a complete set from one compatable model package for best supported results.

good luck!

Disregard this thread.

I think I picked the wrong mobo for fast 12GB, just too many instability reports. I'm cancelling my mobo order and gonna go for a workstation class model that has more options in reaching 12 to 24 GB. This first one is more of a game board and it appears game boards are really optimized for 6GB and begin to have more potential problems when you want to go to 12GB or more.

Archived