Corsair Community

GA-EP45-UD3P No longer POSTS with new RAM

lfdal54

I built this system last November. Its been rock solid running XP-pro 32 bit, Win7 RC1 32bit and Win7 RC1 64 - its a tri-boot system.

A few weeks ago I started to get BSOD's across all three OS's. Chased windows issues around for a while but finally booted memtest v4 and it showed the memory failed in certain locations.

The memory was 4 gbyte of TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF.

Returned the RAM under RMA and received the new set last night. Part number was the same except that it was TWIN2X4096-8500C5DG instead of C5DF.

Installed the memory taking all due static precautions and now nothing works. Zero, zip, nada. No post, nothing on the screen, absolutely nothing.

I tried one stick at a time, no change. I removed all the memory and got a 10 beep post with the unit shutting down after that.

I've removed all connections from the power supply except the MB and GPU.

Still nothing.

I reset the MB's CMOS both by jumper and by removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery. I reseated the GPU card. I tried another monitor.

I then gave up.

Anyone have any ideas? I've restarted the RMA process with Corsair but now I'm wondering if the MB has died.....

TIA

• Corsair Employees
I would suspect some other problem as all of our modules are tested on a MB at the rated speed before they leave the factory so it would close to impossible to get all of the modules be DOA in one set let alone two.

Normally I'd agree with you if it wasn't for the sytem being 80% reliable when I took out the 2 sticks for RMA and now its deader than a door nail.

The only things left are the motherboard, and the Corsair 750 watt power supply. I suppose I can pull the video card and see if it audibly tries to POST, but I won't be able to see much (clever statement, that).

Looks like my RMA got approved, but since it currently has a three week turnaround time I'm going to buy a slower 1 gbyte stick of another mfg's memory, and try it in there since I can run that test in about 3 days.

If that fails then I'll start chasing the power supply and motherboard. Oh the joys of homebuilt units.

Going back to the basics I did install brand X's single 1 gbyte stick, which runs @ 800mhz, vs the 2 - 2 gbyte sticks @ 1066mhz of my Corsair memory.

Everything came up and worked the first time, the only thing I had to do was tell it to load the CMOS defaults since I'd reset the CMOS and hadn't got a good boot yet.

So I'm happy in that I've eliminated, I think, the video card and the power supply.

Now when I get my next set of RAM back from RMA, if it still doesn't work does it seem like a good idea to get an RMA for the motherboard? Maybe for some reason or other the motherboard doesn't like the 2 gbyte modules anymore? Although if the motherboard can't set 2.1v anymore I thought the memory should still work albeit slower at a lower voltage level.

If anyone has theories, I'm happy to listen.

• Corsair Employees
What you have said does not make much sense, I would suggest testing the modules one at a time with the modules tested settings set manually, and the memory Voltage may be hidden til you un-hide it by using the CNTRL + F1 Key stroke at the main BIOS screen

Sorry if I confused things, let me attempt to clarify. When the new Corsair memory was in there, I could not get any video.

Period.

No POST (including beeps) ,no BIOS screen, nothing. Nothing from the keyboard that should have gotten me into a BIOS screen worked.

That makes manually adjusting anything pretty much impossible.

That was with either or both of the new Corsair memory sticks in there.

So, I dropped $30 for troubleshooting purposes on a really basic, slow (800mhz), 1 gbyte memory stick. I did this so I could have something in 3 days vs the 3 weeks its going to take the next set of RMA'd memory to make it back to the east coast. I can understand them not wanting to cross-ship, there are dishonest people out there.

This at least let me eliminate the power supply and video card (I hope).

Now this leaves me wondering what fun I'm in for when the next set of memory comes back from Corsair. The mobo manufacturer, who must think I can work magic, has already suggested that if, when I get the new sticks, I have the same problem, I should manually adjust :eek: which says their auto-adjust features may not be all one desires, or is promised. I replied to them asking for clarification on how I'm supposed to adjust anything with no video. Still waiting to hear back.

I did check the BIOS settings with the original sticks in there and it did report the correct timing settings and correct 2.1volts. That was in auto mode.

So I guess what I'm going to do is make the manual adjustments with my cheapo stick in there, hoping I don't blow anything up.

Please keep in mind that this system worked flawlessly for almost one year of heavy use, although it was **never** overclocked, nor run hot. It's also running perfectly now, albeit slower. It's able to successfully enter and leave hibernation, as well as pass several hours of memtest v4.x.

If I've overlooked anything, or should have tried something different please let me know, because I'm not really expecting anything to get better when the new sticks turn up.

Thank you.

I tried one stick at a time, no change. I removed all the memory and got a 10 beep post with the unit shutting down after that.

I've removed all connections from the power supply except the MB and GPU.

I reset the MB's CMOS both by jumper and by removing and reinstalling the CMOS battery. I reseated the GPU card. I tried another monitor.

TIA

From my first post. I reset it with everything except a hammer, which was next.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare system to act as a test bed. If I did have a second working system, I'd be really reluctant to tear it to pieces in any event, especially if I was actually using it to do work. A software engineer with no working computer is a terrible thing to waste.

I'm pretty much where I started. If I get the new RAM back and it does the same thing, I'll go after the mobo company to RMA the motherboard.

Bottom line: almost one year of bulletproof operation with all settings on Auto........ Something in the hardware changed. RAM or motherboard.

We'll see in about 2 more weeks when the RAM comes back. I'd like to have a working system by Christmas, and I will, it just may be of 2010. :sigh!:

Adding to this question, what's the difference between Twin2X4096-8500C5D F and Twin2X4096-8500C5D G ? I looked and searched the site, but didn't find an answer. It was the Twin2X4096-8500C5D F that worked in my system and the Twin2X4096-8500C5D G's that were unusable.

Thanks

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

Only difference is F = FAN.

G isn't part of the part number, and means GREEN.

Thanks, I kind of figured F was for fan, but what's green? Low energy consumption, or Green manufacturing techniques?

Sorry, I know this is off-topic, but just curious.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that's that. New set of sticks, totally dead system. Put in the cheapo stick and its off and running.

Now I have four choices, none of which is fun:

1) I can call it a day, buy 3 more sticks of the cheap stuff for $90 and run at 800 mhz. Of course I'm out another $90, which is almost the cost of the motherboard.......

2) I can RMA the motherboard, which means I have no working system for a month, give or take by the time I get it out of there, get the serial number, get the RMA, and get it in the mail....yada yada yada.....

3) I can drop some serious coin and buy someone else's 1066mhz ram. Kind of an expensive little test. Of course I could really blow the budget and get 4gbyte on a single stick.

4) Buy another motherboard and keep the one I have as a spare when it someday comes back. Some pro's and cons there and then whose memory do I plug into it? This whole experience hasn't left me feeling warm and fuzzy about plugging the Corsair back into another motherboard. Especially when I went back and scanned the NewEgg page referenced in another post.

Any ideas welcome........????

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the theory that I couldn't possibly have got that much bad RAM and that Corsair does make a good product I've been working this problem from the mobo side.

Tried plan B tonight. I flashed the BIOs on the mobo, cleared the CMOS, and .....nothing. One gigabyte stick works perfect, 2 gigabyte sticks refuse to POST, in Channel A that is.

For yucks I removed the 1 gbyte stick from Slot 1 channel A, and I put a 2 gbyte stick in Channel B, slot 2, and everything worked fine. I put the 2nd 2 gbyte stick in the other channel B slot, slot 4, and its currently finished 3 complete memtest v4 passes.

So as of now, slot pair 1 & 3 is empty (channel A) and slot pair 2 & 4 (channel B) is populated.

Would have tried this sooner, but couldn't find any definite info on whether or not the board would let me populate channel B w/o channel A being populated first.

Now for a deeper dialog with Gigabyte. Frankly, since 4 gbyte is all I plan on ever using, I'm not sure I even want to RMA the board, if everything will work with the ram in channel B.

The only strange thing I noticed is that the BIOS set everything correctly in Auto mode, except the DRAM voltage. It showed that @ 1.8volts so I manually set it to 2.1 volts. Don't know if that's the memory, the new BIOS, or ???, but the old version of the BIOS set everything correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, after seeing this thread has 900+ hits.

With the memory in channel B, the system is back to working flawlessly across all three OS's: XP-Pro, Win7-32 and Win7-64.

Not a single OS hang nor blue screen since my post of 12/21.

Archived