Corsair Community

Wait for it?

O-san

Would you recommend holding purchase until newer firmware is released? I am having second thoughts on buying X128. Don't want my drive to disappear from BIOS or become sluggish after a couple days. That's the impression I am getting after reading through some of these topics here.. :sigh!: Sounds like the firmware is far from being released too. People owning a X-nr, your opinions would be useful.

If that will be the only drive in the system, I'd say wait for the firmware.

Otherwise, if you have fast hard drives in the system to direct program files, pagefile and temp files to, it makes sense to buy a smaller drive for now (even x32), and install OS (only) to it.

I have this kind of setup and the performance of my x64 is still intact after 9 days.

(I had done secure erase before installing OS for the second time, because the performance went down to 128 read / 29 write).

Once the firmware is out and you want to use SSD exclusively, you can still use the smaller drive for temp / page file in order to improve the overall performance of your system.

Watch out tho, just because new firmware is released into the wild does not imply that the drive you buy will come with it installed - retailers carry stock for a long time before reordering so before you buy check with the retailer and ask for confirmation that the drive you are buying has the latest firmware :-)

Would you recommend holding purchase until newer firmware is released? I am having second thoughts on buying X128. Don't want my drive to disappear from BIOS or become sluggish after a couple days. That's the impression I am getting after reading through some of these topics here.. :sigh!: Sounds like the firmware is far from being released too. People owning a X-nr, your opinions would be useful.

I heard that there would be a final 1819 firmware for indilinx controller, but my friend didn't know when it would be released. so, how long can you wait?

Watch out tho, just because new firmware is released into the wild does not imply that the drive you buy will come with it installed - retailers carry stock for a long time before reordering so before you buy check with the retailer and ask for confirmation that the drive you are buying has the latest firmware :-)

Hopefully the firmware will be end user upgradeable

Thanks for the replies! I am in pretty bad need of an upgrade so I think I will buy the drive anyway, not 100% sure yet though. I might install my old spinpoint hard drive just in case. Has anyone tried using the self recovery that is said to exist by leaving the system logged off overnight? Does it exist - is there a performance increase?

Archived