Corsair Community

If Garbage Collection doesn't work in Mac OS, how do I maintain performance on P128?

ejosepha

I have the Performance 128GB SSD, and it has been indicated that even though mine is the most recent version with Garbage Collection, that it won't function on my Macbook Pro mid-2009. Is there any other way to maximize performance or what should I do if performance begins to degrade? I have heard that by erasing and re-installing the OS, etc, one would return to original performance. Is there an easier way and if not, what manner does one use to erase and SSD like this? Can it be done just within the Utility app in mac or do I need a downloaded application to properly erase an SSD?

thank you

One way to avoid or prolong the period of good performance is to not copy too much stuff onto the SSD. From what I've read, leaving about 25%-30% of it free (rather than filling it to the brim) will give the drive enough space to maintain good performance for a long time.

I was under the impression that the drive keeps writing whether the drive seems empty or not. That erased data or files are seen as empty space, but underneath the drive has moved on to write elsewhere until full, then returns to "deleted" files to treat them and rewrite over them, which is part of the cause of the slowdown. Am I mistaken, and how long on average does it take to need something as drastic as a complete re-install to achieve near maximum performance? Will there eventually be a more simple way to deal with this? I have been told on another thread that the self-curing program within my ssd does not operate on Mac OS?

Is this a difficult test to do? Couldn't someone with performance degradation on P128 just reboot and idle for more than one hour and then test the computer with benchmark after? Doesn't Samsung sell a lot of these ssds direct to Apple? I would think this could be known.

Thanks for any info. I have also written directly to Tech support at Corsair. Waiting for reply.

Yes, when blocks are overwritten the new data is directed to fresh blocks. But the system also now knows that the previous values are no longer needed (even without TRIM, with overwrite the SSD knows some of the free blocks because they were overwritten).

With enough free space on the disk, by the time it overflows the system knows (again even without TRIM) enough free blocks from previous overwrite operations and chances are rather high that there are full pages among them which can just be erased without swapping out/in content that is still valid.

hfs+ Mac OS tends to favor blocks with low numbers, so (as an example) if your drive is never more than half full and you just delete files and then add new files, hfs+ will favor blocks from previous deletes for the new files. This will result in overwritten blocks which gives the SSD a better picture of what's free space.

• 2 weeks later...
The garbage collection has only been tested with NTFS File systems there is no data to show it works or does not work with any other file system.

There are quite a lot of people putting these SSD drives in their Macs, me included! It would be a great idea to get these things working properly with them, as it is hurting Corsair's reputation every time I tell a coworker or friend that they slow way down after a while and I have to reinstall everything… Corsair is losing sales by dragging their feet on this issue. Had I known about this issue before hand, I would have saved my money.

-Steven

There are quite a lot of people putting these SSD drives in their Macs, me included! It would be a great idea to get these things working properly with them, as it is hurting Corsair's reputation every time I tell a coworker or friend that they slow way down after a while and I have to reinstall everything… Corsair is losing sales by dragging their feet on this issue. Had I known about this issue before hand, I would have saved my money.

-Steven

You'd have to go yell at Samsung for that. They designed the IC and wrote the firmware for it, NOT Corsair. Believe me, I'm sure that's on the list of things that Corsair is relaying to Samsung's engineers for the next firmware (whether we'll see it will be a different issue all together).

The best way to maintain the performance of these drives (for now) is to minimize the amount of writes that are going on the drive itself.

I know quite well of the performance drop-off on all SSDs and I can tell you that even though the won't run at spec, they still work quite well.

You'd have to go yell at Samsung for that. They designed the IC and wrote the firmware for it, NOT Corsair. Believe me, I'm sure that's on the list of things that Corsair is relaying to Samsung's engineers for the next firmware (whether we'll see it will be a different issue all together).

The best way to maintain the performance of these drives (for now) is to minimize the amount of writes that are going on the drive itself.

I know quite well of the performance drop-off on all SSDs and I can tell you that even though the won't run at spec, they still work quite well.

I am going to the company whose name is on the package. If they're selling sub standard 3rd party equipment with their name on it, that is their (and unfortunately for me, my) problem.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go write some negative reviews and warn other Mac owners to stay away from these drives.

• Corsair Employees

I think you would be jumping to conclusions and may make your self look bad if you do that but it is your choice.

There are have been hundreds of cases using SSD technology on many platform's and SSD technology is not new in general terms but it is new in the Hard drive format and for most the limitations out way the benefits and more than likely why even Apple has chosen to start selling some NB's with SSD Drives. However there are still limitations. Currently Garbage collection has only been tested using NTFS File systems is all I can tell you. And if you are not one who wants to play with your system I would suggest only using as it came from the factory. Changing hardware is not for everyone. However when you open your own system and start changing parts the issues if any; are solely on you as a then system builder and knowing the limitations of what you are doing will become key to success.

Our SSD drives will work with any S-ATA/II controller in any system that will accept a 2.5 " Standard Hard drive. However as stated this feature has only been tested to work with NTFS File systems. That being said does not mean it will not work with another file system only that it has been tested to work with NTFS. And as I have said before any one wanting to use SSD Technology with an Apple I would suggest only using our Performance series drives for best compatibility.

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employees
You would really have better luck talking to Apple about what is supported and what is not, I know several people who work there and know they are working with a few Different SSD Manufacturers but I have no official information from Apple as to what hardware is or is not supported. Mac's are not like IBM X86 systems that are designed to use universal off the shelf hardware. They are changing but to what extent? You would need to direct these questions at them sorry!

Archived