Corsair Community

System Crawls after Installing Corsair Memory

WarpedOut

I am wondering if I am doing this wrong. One of my original 2GB sticks (listed in my Specs) went bad. I purchased one CGM2X2G800 as a replacement. I have 4 memory slots. The bad chip came out of Slot 1 and the CGM2X2G800 went into that slot. All chips are PC6400 800MHz, but the system runs like a dog. When I pull the CGM2X2G800 chip the system is back to normal.

So, I guess I am asking if I need to use a pair of CGM2X2G800 chips to get the machine to perform normally or just move it to one of the other slots?

Yellowbeard,

It seems to be OK just running with the 2GB Corsair stick.....although a bit sluggish....but I would expect that since I'm used to running with 4GB - 6GB....but even by itself it is nowhere near as slow as when mixed with the other sticks. I still have it in Slot 1. So.....you have me thinking on my own now.....(thanks!).....just needed a nudge. I am going to put the 2 1GB sticks back in and see if it runs any different.

OK.......now I am very confused. When I put the 1GB sticks back in it runs better. When I put the other 2GB stick (the original) it runs slower.

So, I tested each stick separately. Individually they all show up as PC2/6400. But when I put them all in at once....regardless of the slots they are in, the overall configuration reported by the BIOS is 6144GB PC2/5300.

Currently I am running with all sticks - Slot 1 is HYMP125U64CP8-S6, Slot 2 is HYMP112U64CP8-S6, Slot 3 is CGM2X2G800 and Slot 4 is HYMP112U64CP8-S6.

In this configuration it is not quite "crawling" as I complained about originally........but I am well and truly baffled by the PC2/5300 showing up in the BIOS for the overall memory configuration statistic.

What seems to be happening is the BIOS of the motherboard is defaulting down to slower memory speeds when you fill more slots. This causes lower memory bandwidth as well as possibly higher latency depending on the timings that are being configured. What it does in a positive way is ensure that it will work without user input. Often times an enthusiast motherboard in a homebuilt PC will require the user to enter the BIOS and increase voltages and adjust timings to achieve stability with all the memory slots filled up. Your system is simply lowering the speed it is running the memory at so you don't have to try to mess with voltages etc. Is there a way to get into the BIOS and change the memory speed and timings? If so you might want to try manually configuring it for PC2-6400 (DDR2-800 speed) and set the timings to something simple like 5-5-5-18 which most any memory can do at 1.8v since it is JDEC specifications.

Archived