Corsair Community

After switch to HX850, system won't power on

aetherg

I swapped out my 3-year-old PSU (see below for why) for a brand-new Corsair HX850 from Newegg. Followed all directions and common sense in terms of unplug/plug order. When plugged in, the green MB power light comes on, and ethernet power lights are active. But when I press the power button, nothing happens; doesn't even pulse on for a second.

I double-checked that everything was plugged in and I hadn't dislodged any cards. I checked the power button connector and other pin connectors, and tried booting it over ethernet. I tried unplugging all modular cables from the PSU. I tried unplugging the 2x PCI-E connectors from the graphics card. Same result with everything.

The only difference I can think of is that the old PSU had a 3-pin MB connector for the PSU fan, and the HX850 doesn't. Just in case the MB somehow requires a PSU RPM readout, I plugged a case fan into that connector, but no luck.

At this point I'm out of ideas. Before I spend an hour switching back to the previous PSU, does anyone have any suggestions? Have I missed a plug somewhere?

Extra Background: I recently upgraded my graphics card from an old 7800 to a GTX260. Though everything started up, I ran into a lot of glitches & driver restarts. Eventually I underclocked the card to about 2/3rds of factory, and it began working fine. I didn't think heat was an issue, but my previous 600W PSU was somewhat old, so I figured it might be power. Hence my purchase of the HX850.

Heh, stupid mistake after all. I'm embarrassed to post this, but maybe someone else will do the same thing at some point. While splitting the 8-pin 12V into 2x 4-pin (my MB doesn't have ESA), I got the directions confused, and plugged it in backwards. I just looked up the pin diagram for that plug, and it looks like this:

GG

VV

Really poor design on the part of ATX, in my opinion; 2 pins are square and 2 rounded, but they're on the diagonals instead of horizontal/vertical. If nothing else, they should have used this:

GV

VG

With the current design, it is possible to plug it in backwards, as I did. So no worries with the Corsair PSU (very well-designed from what I've seen so far). I just need to finish hooking things up again and hope my MB was smart enough not to let itself get fried by that mistake...

Archived