Corsair Community

1 GB Memory Modules only showing 512Mb

scnupage

Hi folks,

My first post and I'm at a bit of a loss. I have an Amilo Pro V2055 laptop that I have finally gotten around to upgrading the memory on from 256Mb to 2GB.

I bought the Corsair 2Gb DDR2 667 mhz matched 2x1GB modules kit and installed them with ease. At first I did not realise the problem existed as the machine was so blindingly fast compared to what it was prior to the upgrade.

The problem became apparent when I installed my Adobe After Effects software, which requires minimum 2Gb of RAM. The software installed and ran fine until I attempted to import a media file, when it froze up. I checked my system and found that the memory modules I bought are only showing 512Mb in each slot instead of 1Gb in each slot.

I have spent the last 48 hours trawling through forum after forum and I am now Google blind!

It wasn't until I looked on the back of the package that I realised this forum existed - DOH!

I have checked my BIOS and it is the latest version. It apparently supports up to 4Gb of Memory in its present version. The system diagnostics shows the following info for physical memory:

Physical Memory 0:

Bank: Bank 1

Capacity: 512 MB

Data width: 64 Bit

Speed: 533 MHz

Physical Memory 1:

Bank: Bank 2

Capacity: 512 MB

Data width: 64 Bit

Speed: 533 MHz

I did read somewhere that the memory needs to be running in dual channel mode but I don't know how to check if mine is or how to make it do so if it's not.

Can anyone please help point me in the right direction or even confirm that it's possible that the modules I received were in fact 512Mb instead of 1GB by mistake. (The package says 2x 1Gb by the way) although I can't believe it would be that simple.

Thanks in advance

Steve

If you take one out, does it still show as having 1gB or 512M? The speed should not have anything to do with the issue. The MB on the laptop sounds like it does not support those speeds. I know laptop BIOS's are pitiful as far as RAM goes. Make sure you go into the setup after you install the RAM and make sure that the system has recognized the change. Can you try the memory in anyone else's laptop? 2 DIMM's of the same size are almost always recognized as a dual-channel pair. Try CPU-Z and see what it says about memory. Swap slots, put in one at a time see what kind of results you get.

Hi

The part number is VS1GSDS667D2 for both modules

Spacklewoof - The RAM shows as 512 if I take one out. I've tried all the combinations you suggest and always the same result.

CPU-Z recognises the modules as 1GB on both counts.

Here are screenshots of CPU-Z. Slot 2 on the SPD is identical to slot 1 readings:

http://internetbusinesslinks.com/images/memory.gifhttp://internetbusinesslinks.com/images/SPD.gif

Hope you guys can help.

Steve

Your motherboard is using an older VIA chipset which is likely the source of your limit. The memory controller cannot properly address the memory you have installed.

It's not a dual channel memory controller so you won't be able to run in dual channel. Also, VIA shows a maximum of 3GB of memory support.

http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/chipsets/p4-series/p4m800/

Ok Yellowbeard thanks for that. But, where does that leave me? If it shows support for up to 3Gb what modules do I use? and can Corsair supply the correct modules to get 3Gb?

I looked on the link you posted but it didn't really mean a great deal to me. Are you suggesting that the chipset can be upgraded or was that for information purposes only?

Best Regards

Steve

Archived