Corsair Community

Corsair CMXAF1 fan alternatives

FredL

Hello,

I've got a CMXAF1 (RAM) fan as part of my PC2-8500 Dominator kit. I've got 8GB of RAM and found that the 4 modules really needed cooling. The included RAM fan does a nice job, however the 3 40mm fans are quite noisy. It's not a wonder as they're always running at 6000 RPMs.

I was wondering if there are any alternatives? I see that Corsair have brought out the CMXAF2 with 2 60mm fans. Would that be quieter?

Also, anyone know the ratings of the 40mm fans? I can't find the noise or airflow (CFM) ratings anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I've got a CMXAF1 (RAM) fan as part of my PC2-8500 Dominator kit. I've got 8GB of RAM and found that the 4 modules really needed cooling. The included RAM fan does a nice job, however the 3 40mm fans are quite noisy. It's not a wonder as they're always running at 6000 RPMs.

I was wondering if there are any alternatives? I see that Corsair have brought out the CMXAF2 with 2 60mm fans. Would that be quieter?

Also, anyone know the ratings of the 40mm fans? I can't find the noise or airflow (CFM) ratings anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

You could use a controlled header on your motherboard or a fan controller to adjust the speed of the fans.

Thanks for the advise guys.

Yellowbeard's suggestion of adjusting the speed of the fans prompted me to seek out speedfan again, but alas, Gigabyte only allows you to control 2 out of the 4 fans from the MB (CPU + Sys Fan: 4-pin ones).

However, the Sys Fan output seems limited to 5-7v somehow, so I capitalised on that and put my Corsair fan there. Now the 6000RPM fans are running around 3000RPM and much quieter.

If needed, I'll seek out a fan controller further down the track.

Thanks again.

Archived