Corsair Community

Asus Rampage II GENE & Dominator-GT 2000MHZC8

instuller

I have the newest C8 12GB (6x2GB).

I was getting missing modules (seeing 8gb,10gb)

I have reseated the ram and moved modules.

Its if I just run with the XMP profile of 8-8-8-24 (and even manually putting the voltage to 1.65) I see 10GB.

SOMETIMES memtest hangs. Win 7 wont boot at all.

I cant get win7 to boot at 1800MHZ either.

I can actually run it at 1600MHZ 7-7-7-21 and boot win7 (but i paid $$$ for the 2000MHZ)

Are there any voltage suggestions? I tried upping the VDIMM to 1.67, upping the IOH, upping the QPI/ .

now, i read somewhere on Google that Asus has a problem over 1600MHZ with the Elpida Hyper.. I dont have the older sticks that begin with a T. Is this still an issue, especially with this board? Man am I gonna get nailed $130 restock fee if I cant get these to work at spec on this board!

You are going to have a VERY hard time getting 6 modules or in this case, 12GB to run at 2000mhz. This is wholly dependent upon the memory controller first, then the MOBO and the BIOS.

As a starting point, have you tried to get 3 modules stable at 2000? Try to get 1 kit stable at 2000 using the XMP profile and use that as a baseline for your voltages.

I had tried that early on and it didnt work.

But per your suggestion, Ill try it with 6GB only when I get home.

Meanwhile, Ive been emailing Asus with the model number of this ram and telling them that the board will not run it at the 2000MHZ(OC) advertised for the board (and this isnt obscure ram- its Corsair!)

Meanwhile, Ive been emailing Asus with the model number of this ram and telling them that the board will not run it at the 2000MHZ(OC) advertised for the board (and this isnt obscure ram- its Corsair!)

One thing they will tell you is that the board will not support 12GB at 2000. I will support 12GB and it lists support for 2000mhz when OCing. But, it cannot do both at the same time. This speed is a major OC on the memory controller and you will not find many if any CPUs that can run 12 up at 2000.

This is also why we do not sell a 12GB 2000mhz kit.

This speed is a major OC on the memory controller and you will not find many if any CPUs that can run 12 up at 2000.

Interesting. Does that mean in i7, the onboard memory controller is tied to cpu speed?

Its funny that at the 2000, sometimes I see only 10GB, sometimes 8GB. Its funny how it changes. Like you said , it seems the memory controller is struggling, and sometimes it can gran 10, othertimes only 8, but never the full 12.

I can get it at 1866 7-8-7-20 in 12GB stable without too much trouble so far.

Of course not! You only asked about the DRAM voltage! :)

I mean, I'm new to the i7/X58 settings, but Ive been overclocking since the Celeron 300A

Anyway, Im at work so I dont know the exact numbers.

I had some boost to the QPI/DRAM, northbridge, and cpu.

The XMP works on 3, not on 6.

Of course not! You only asked about the DRAM voltage! :)

What voltages have you set currently? If you are still trying to run 6 modules, the memory controller voltage is going to be the key here.

The XMP works on 3, not on 6.

The reason I asked about voltages is that I was asking about your QPI voltage, aka memory controller voltage. The XMP sets this voltage above the stock setting to accomodate the higher frequency. When you double the number of modules you are likely going to need even more voltage on the memory controller. However, there is no guarantee that you can OC at all with 6 modules and no amount of voltage may change this.

So, what I suggested above was to use the voltages, primarily the QPI voltage as set by the XMP profile as a starting point. With 6 modules I'd suggest you start with your memory frequency at 1066 or 1333 and try to clock upwards from there and find your maximum stable speed.

Archived