Corsair Community

OS drives in hot swap bays or lower bay?

Claw57

I am just about to start a build with the Obsidian and I am curious if people are mounting their system drives in the bays or in the lower chamber and why.

Thanks.

As the BeardGuy :biggrin: stated, It is a matter of personal needs/preference.

That said, I am using the upper hot swap bay for all of my drives for the following reasons;

1) The installed stock fan provides better airflow within this bay. Better airflow = Lower Drive Temps. Lower Drive Temps = Better reliability. Yes, this issue can be mitigated by installing an additional fan in the lower drive bay.

2) I remove all non essential drives from my system when I am benchmarking at high clocks to avoid the risk of corruption. I use a dedicated OS drive for benchmarking. No big deal if I corrupt it. The hot swap bay greatly facilitates these configuration changes.

3) I like the cable management that the hot swap bay offers. I personally do not need more than 4 drives in my system at any one time. I prefer to keep them neat & tidy (&cool) within the hot swap bay.

My $.02

As the BeardGuy :biggrin: stated, It is a matter of personal needs/preference.

That said, I am using the upper hot swap bay for all of my drives for the following reasons;

1) The installed stock fan provides better airflow within this bay. Better airflow = Lower Drive Temps. Lower Drive Temps = Better reliability.

2) I remove all non essential drives from my system when I am benchmarking at high clocks to avoid the risk of corruption. I use a dedicated OS drive for benchmarking. No big deal if I corrupt it. The hot swap bay greatly facilitates these configuration changes.

3) I like the cable management that the hot swap bay offers. I personally do not need more than 4 drives in my system at any one time. I prefer to keep them neat & tidy (&cool) within the hot swap bay.

My $.02

I would like to offer a differen perspective. :laughing:

I need at least five drives in my system, which is one reason why I like the 800D case. :D:

For backup purposes, it would be nice to remove a "data backup" drive from my system when I am not backing up data, and then store it somewhere else in my house. Or, I might need more storage (for my digital photo files) than I could get even with six drives in my system, so that's anohter reason for using data drives in the hotswap bays.

I would never do this operation for the OS drive, so it's fine to keep the OS drive "permanently" mounted in one of the lower drive bays.

Also, my primary goal is a completely stable system. I will not overclock the system in a way that could affect stability. Hence, for me :laughing: I need to overclock and test stability with my system in "production configuration."

Over time, I will probably replace the OS (and Photoshop scratch) drives with SSDs. I'm just waiting for SSD prices to come down from the nosebleed section of the theater.

My 2 cents. ;):

I would like to offer a differen perspective. :laughing:

I need at least five drives in my system, which is one reason why I like the 800D case. :D:

For backup purposes, it would be nice to remove a "data backup" drive from my system when I am not backing up data, and then store it somewhere else in my house. Or, I might need more storage (for my digital photo files) than I could get even with six drives in my system, so that's anohter reason for using data drives in the hotswap bays.

I would never do this operation for the OS drive, so it's fine to keep the OS drive "permanently" mounted in one of the lower drive bays.

Also, my primary goal is a completely stable system. I will not overclock the system in a way that could affect stability. Hence, for me :laughing: I need to overclock and test stability with my system in "production configuration."

Over time, I will probably replace the OS (and Photoshop scratch) drives with SSDs. I'm just waiting for SSD prices to come down from the nosebleed section of the theater.

My 2 cents. ;):

And a very valid perspective it is! If I had your set of requirements, I would approach them in much the same way.

For clarification, I do have the same 7x24 completely stable "production class" reliability requirement as you. The system runs stock, or very mild over clocks most of the time. I just like to play on the "wild side" once in a while with heavy overclocking. Hence, I look for ways to mitigate the risks by removing all "production" drives during "playtime".:D: sp8_206c.jpg.0a56cd20dd3f09b70da6c49f3b17ac29.jpg

This is why I love the Obsidian. I can make the transition from "Daily Driver" to 5GHz in less than 5 mins.

This is why I love the Obsidian. I can make the transition from "Daily Driver" to 5GHz in less than 5 mins.

I love your description. And you bring up a very valid point. Hot-swapping boot drives is very appealing becuase it is so simple. Much more simple than some complex multi-boot arrangement. And, I do have "spare" drives around, SATA of course. And even if I didn't, you can pick up a 250 or 320 GB SATA drive for practically nothing these days. :biggrin:

You can do either of course. And, for most users, I cannot see any reason to be hot swapping the OS drive. The hot swap bay does allow easier installation. Other than that, it's going to be personal preference.

I keep a spare drive around with nothing but the OS on it to test and troubleshoot software/hardware problems. This way I can isolate the problem to hardware or software without screwing up my main drive. I realized that the main reason I was opening up my system was to swap HDD's. With the HDD bays in the front all I have to do is swap drives and I am up and running in a couple minutes instead of 15 as before. I have an external HDD docking station that I can do the same with but it is subject to being knocked around.

Still comes down to personal preference, but the Hot Swap Bays was one of the reasons I bought the case.

Thanks for all the replies.

LEB- I am inclined to agree with your reasoning, since I won't have more than four drives. I also tend to agree with you regarding the cooling fan.

x509, if I were to have more than four drives I would put the system drive in the lower bay as well.

curlysir- the hot swap bays were also a big selling point for me. I tried to 'unsell' myself from the Obsidian, but, to me the bays seem to be implemented so well.

I am currently using a P180 (time to update my computer profile I guess!) wiith aftermarket hot swap drive bays/caddies and it just seems like such a 'band aid' approach compared to the Obsidian.

All good points and thanks!

Thanks for all the replies.

LEB- I am inclined to agree with your reasoning, since I won't have more than four drives. I also tend to agree with you regarding the cooling fan.

x509, if I were to have more than four drives I would put the system drive in the lower bay as well.

curlysir- the hot swap bays were also a big selling point for me. I tried to 'unsell' myself from the Obsidian, but, to me the bays seem to be implemented so well.

I am currently using a P180 (time to update my computer profile I guess!) wiith aftermarket hot swap drive bays/caddies and it just seems like such a 'band aid' approach compared to the Obsidian.

All good points and thanks!

Claw57: I have to say that even though I have to mount 5 drives in my case, I really like curlysir's points about using a spare drive with OS, for debugging purposes. I guess I'll have to see how I can set up the BIOS to select the boot drive. "Production" OS drive in the lower bay, "test" OS drive in one of the hot-swap bays.

My current system is a P180, and the cable management with six drives is an absolute horror. Lucky for me :roll: that I have a relatively old system with cool running CPUs (dual). As it is, I have the Tri-cool fans all set to high, and my system sounds like a turbine sometimes.

A great thread.

Archived