Corsair Community

Best memory config for ASUS A8V Deluxe

Arion444

Okay, I've got an audio-only DAW. It currently has ASUS A8V Deluxe MB, and two sticks of Corsair ValueSelect 1GB DDR 400 C3 DIMM on it (in the blue slots 0 and 1). Processor is AMD Athlon 64X2 4400. Today I tried installing an additional two 1GB sticks of the same RAM (VS1GB400C3), and after POST it came up with an American Megatrends splash screen stating that "USB Over Current Detected System Reseting In 15 Seconds." I tried removing all USB dongles and cables, and rebooted with no better result. Then, I removed the new DIMM, and everything worked fine...back to normal.

My vendor says I need to install four matched 1GB chips. I can't even find a set of four matching out there. Two and two, but that's all. Is ValueSelect a good match for this MB or is there something from Corsair that's better, and will buying two matched 2GB sets get the job done? Oh, I upgraded my Windows to XP Pro SP3, so it'll support 3.5GB. I use dual boot with XP 64 Pro too.

Just need the straight skinny on matched sets. Would be soooo much easier if I could find consistent answers for this issue. Some say the CMOS on the MB has to be cleared. Help, anybody!

Thanks,

Arion

• 3 months later...

Here are 3 different solutions to this problem:

1. Overcurrent detection was initiated with BIOS revision 1017. Downgrade to version 1015 or earlier to eliminate this feature. If you can't boot into the BIOS see solution 2.

or

2. If you just added memory to your system, shut down and temporarily remove the new sticks (so you have less than 4 GB of RAM) and reboot into the BIOS. Then change your AGP aperture to 256 MB. Save and shut down. Replace the memory (max 4 gb) and boot normally. (Keep the AGP setting or you will get the problem again.)

or

3. Limit your RAM to 3 Gigs if you want DDR. (Yes, you can have 4 sticks-ie: 1G/512M/1G/512M) (Use matching pairs in the same colored slots)

or

Note: IF you downgrade to BIOS version 1015, you will NOT have USB overcurrent warning protection.

Regarding the 4 Gig RAM problem-Asus has indicated in the past that the BIOS on the A8V Deluxe BIOS will NOT recognize the full 4 Gigs, it's only going to recognize around 3.5 gigs max regardless of the operating system. (This is due to a hardware limitation of the VIA 8237 Southbridge chipset. In addition, the more PCI devices you have installed in your system, the less total memory will be available, as these devices will use up memory within the BIOS.) Windows will only see 3.5 gigs minus the memory used for AGP + PCI devices. Expect somewhere between 3 to 3.5 gigs of memory. On THIS motherboard, the total memory WILL be affected by this limitation whether it's 32 or 64 bit. Be sure to use matching pairs of DIMMS for best performance. As a final note, there is one more problem whenever you insert 4 gigs of memory. The sleep feature of Windows will NOT work, as apparently (in my opinion) the "bug" is that USB is inadvertently (negatively) affected by the amount of RAM in the system. When trying to wake from sleep, the USB is NOT waking properly WITH 4 GIGS OF RAM-(3 or less, it's fine!) My speculation seems to be validated by the fact that the "overcurrent" warning and shutdown only occurs with 4 gigs of RAM.

Archived